Asrock Rack C246 WSI - Which PSU?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nago

Feb 20, 2019
Hi, im interested in purchasing the Asrock Rack C246 WSI once its available, but im confused about the power connectors the board provides. There is one 8pin ATX12V power connector and one 4pin ATX12V power connector but no 20/24pin ATX power connector. According to the manual (http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/C246 WSI.pdf, page 26) the 8pin connector provides 4 GND pins and 4 12V pins which seems quite standard to me.
The 4pin connector provides 4 pins labeled ATX_PG, +5VSB, PSON and GND which confuses me. What kind of PSU is needed to power the C246 WSI? I assume because of the 4pin layout a normal 4pin ATX12V wont fit? To my knowledge the POWERGOOD and PSON pins are normally provided via a 20/24pin pwoer connector, so i would need an adapter if i want to use a standard ATX Powersupply? (I currently use an Corsair SF450)

I hope someone can explain this to me.

Melwin

Feb 5, 2019
Hi, im interested in purchasing the Asrock Rack C246 WSI once its available, but im ......
Hi,
I've had the same question a while back. I did ask Asrock Rack about this. (Note: before the manual was released and revealed that the 4 pin connector was the non-standard connector)

Melwin said:
.... Just saw that the board doesn't have the usual 20/24-pin ATX power connector but instead a 8-pin. Does the package include adapter or what adapter do i need?
Asrock Rack said:
Yes, we have ATX power connector convert cable if you purchase E3C246D2I.

You should find a cable like below pic.1

Please insert this cable to 4 pin power connector on E3C246D2. (like pic.2)

Thanks.
Screenshot_20190224-073718_Outlook.jpg
C246 WSI is similar to E3C246D2I.
So I guess it will be included with the MB. No PSU afaik have this type of connector.

nago

Feb 20, 2019
Thank you! The manual doesnt list such an adapter as included in the box, but the board isnt even released yet, so I guess I just have to be patient :p

Melwin

Feb 5, 2019
Thank you! The manual doesnt list such an adapter as included in the box, but the board isnt even released yet, so I guess I just have to be patient :p
No, I noticed that too! Yeah we will find out when the boards are released this or next week according to Asrock
Let's keep this thread updated when the first of us finds out.

Nas

Apr 7, 2019
@Melwin Have you heard anything further about the availability of the E3C246D2I and C246 WSI? I've been holding out for one of them (preferably the E3C246D2I) but neither seem to have any real availability yet.

The main alternatives I can see are the Asus P11C-I and Supermicro X11SCL-IF but I'd prefer one of the Asrock Rack boards (being better specced overall).

Melwin

Feb 5, 2019
@Melwin Have you heard anything further about the availability of the E3C246D2I and C246 WSI? I've been holding out for one of them (preferably the E3C246D2I) but neither seem to have any real availability yet.

The main alternatives I can see are the Asus P11C-I and Supermicro X11SCL-IF but I'd prefer one of the Asrock Rack boards (being better specced overall).
Accually i've sent them an email on friday and they were going to talk with sales dept. and come back to me. I will keep you updated. I've seen the boards come to surface on a few Asian dealers and hope they will reach Europe and NA pretty soon.

Main advantage over SM and Asus boards IMO is the C246 chipset with iGPU support :cool:

Nas

Apr 7, 2019
Thanks! I had seen the C246 WSI on a Japanese site which gave me some hope :)

I am in fact in the UK, but importing from the US via NewEgg is straightforward (and will probably be the cheapest option judging by the prices of the other boards...)

Melwin

Feb 5, 2019
@Nas Just received the response from ASRR - They will receive the E3C246D2I in the EU warehouse around the middle of April. Probably the same for North America as well. I also live in Europe (Sweden) and will use either Jacob.de, or NewEgg if i can't find it elsewhere. :)

Also, manual has been updated to include
1 x ATX 4P to 24P Power Cable
in the package with the MB.

Last edited:

Nas

Apr 7, 2019
Good news! I managed to import an E3C246D2I from Newegg and installed it today. So far everything seems fine (haven't fully set it up yet though).

I'm now looking for an OCuLink to 4x SATA cable (unfortunately, the motherboard doesn't come with one). This seems to the Supermicro CBL-SAST-0933, but the only place I have found that has it and will deliver to the UK wants £50 for it (with a one month wait for it as well). Any suggestions on where to get the right cable (with delivery to the UK)?

Melwin

Feb 5, 2019
Good news! I managed to import an E3C246D2I from Newegg and installed it today. So far everything seems fine (haven't fully set it up yet though).

I'm now looking for an OCuLink to 4x SATA cable (unfortunately, the motherboard doesn't come with one). This seems to the Supermicro CBL-SAST-0933, but the only place I have found that has it and will deliver to the UK wants £50 for it (with a one month wait for it as well). Any suggestions on where to get the right cable (with delivery to the UK)?
Please check this thread by Frozenstitches
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/asrock-rack-e3c246d2i.24231/

Speedster

Apr 28, 2019
Sorry to drag up an old thread. Did you only connect the ATX to 4-pin adapter to the motherboard, or did you also connect an 8-pin ATX12V cable as well?

mgutt

Apr 19, 2020
At first:
Do not buy the Asrock C246 WSI. It has a high energy consumption, high reving fan, no full M.2 slot, crazy ATX connections and needs an expensive Oculink cable, etc. The Gigabyte C246N-WU2 is much better in any aspect and consumes much less energy.

And regarding the ATX 4 and 8-Pin:
My ordered C246 WSI was defect (because of an other customer). And I do not really wonder, because you can kill it easily. You need to connect both plugs, but it is possible to connect them in the wrong order.