Asrock Rack C246 WSI + OCuLink Troubles

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Apr 1, 2021
For the last 5-6 months I've been running with a new server build
- DS380
- Asrock Rack C246 WSI
- 4x 12TB WD HDDs
- 2x Crucial 16GB Single DDR4 2666
- Corsair SF600
- Intel 8700

All 4 HDDs are plugged into the 4 SATA ports on the mobo. I wanted to add some more HDDs so I ordered an OCuLink -> 4x SATA cable (This one). Today I plugged in the OcuLink cable and added 2x 12TB WD HDDs.

I can't get the new HDDs to show up in Unraid though. I am not familiar with OCuLink so I'm not sure if it is a driver/bios issue. Or if I just didn't plug the cable in right.

Is anyone familiar with this OCuLink that might be able to shed some light on why my new HDDs aren't showing up? The LEDs to the right of the hotswap bays aren't lit up for the 2 new drives - so it doesn't appear like they are getting any power at all.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
The motherboard/BIOS has an option to configure what each OCuLink port is doing -- either SATA or PCIe.

1. Check that this OCuLink is configured correctly/set for SATA, not PCIe.
  2. Try swapping cables for existing drives -- do they work?
  3. Try swapping OCuLink ports -- does the other port work for these new 12TB drives?

Apr 1, 2021
Oh interesting - I didn't know that the OCuLink could be configured to PCIe or SATA.

Ok, looks like I'll have to hook it up to a monitor and dig into the BIOS and see if there is a switch that needs to be flipped.

I have a parity check running atm - when it's finished I'll dig into the bios, and try swapping some of the cables around.

Appreciate the quick response.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Oh interesting - I didn't know that the OCuLink could be configured to PCIe or SATA.
normaly OCuLink is PCIe only. SATA is a feature on some MoBo if the OCuLink comes not from native PCIe but C246/other Chip.

Apr 1, 2021
Thank you for your response.

Yeah I looked into it a bit more last night - I was not aware of jumper pins at all, or what functionality they hold.

Looking through the mobo manual - you are correct, apparently OCuLink can be switched from PCIe to SATA, and that by default it is in PCIe position. As soon as my server is finished with it's parity check I'm going to shut it down and switch the jumper over.

----------------------------------------------

As as aside - what would people do with OCuLink -> PCIe? Can you hook up m2 drives, or something of the sort?

Apr 1, 2021
It is not - my apologies. I just figured I would add the question in since it was tangentially related to the thread. Thanks for your response.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
It is not - my apologies.
no problem - was a joke !
some vendors use MiniSAS or SlimSAS connectors switched to PCIe for U.2 or other PCIe connections.
But not all MiniSAS/SlimSAS Cables are good for PCIe. if you buy a OCuLink cable you are sure it can handle PCIe 3.0.