ASRock Rack B650D4U MicroATX for Ryzen 7000 processors

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I can't believe we're still getting VGA ports in 2023.
The "intelligent" ports like hdmi and displayport are not just ports but also (softtware) protocols (increasing the complexity of the bmc), in case of hdmi it would require also proprietary stuff (like hdcp, licensing is handled by an intel subsidiary :D) & licenses (increasing the price) to support all kinds of monitors & tvs with hdmi ports ._.

Tom S

Jan 31, 2017
The "intelligent" ports like hdmi and displayport are not just ports but also (softtware) protocols (increasing the complexity of the bmc), in case of hdmi it would require also proprietary stuff (like hdcp, licensing is handled by an intel subsidiary :D) & licenses (increasing the price) to support all kinds of monitors & tvs with hdmi ports ._.
HDCP isn't necessary for a BMC console. :)

My background is in hardware development. Basic HDMI isn't really that complicated, and there's plenty of affordable IP that can be licensed to implement it quickly.

I'd gladly pay a couple more dollars for a system with HDMI on the BMC than to deal with having VGA-to-HDMI adapters around just in case.

Reactions: vincele6

abdullah

Jan 25, 2023
Preliminary, EXPECTED TO CHANGE

B550D4U - $305 retail
B550D4U-2T - $440 retail
B650D4U - $375 retail
B650D4U-2L2T - $485 retail

Preliminary, EXPECTED TO CHANGE

This is preliminary from a verified source and reflects estimated street prices. Retail vendors set retail price individually and will differ.
Do not ask me to order you one unless you're buying a full system or full cluster. I do not sell parts retail and have limited slots.
Do not ask me when they will ship. Even if I did have a firm date, I couldn't tell you anyways. The only date I can give is "estimated 1H23."
Possibly a silly question but what constitutes a full system? A barebones like 1U4LW-B650/2L2T or B650D4U-2L2T plus all the other parts (RAM, CPU, etc)?

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
the B550D4U has 2 additional SATA port form ASmedia chip, maybe there are some hot plug settings ?
if the chipset Sata's are in AHCI mode(not RAID) before driver install this should work if the OS support it too.
on some BIOS Hot plug only appears after you set Sata mode to AHCI i.e.

carbide

Oct 12, 2021
I'm guessing the previously-mentioned cooling requirements wouldn't be so bad if pairing this with a 7900/7950 non-X? I really want a few of these for some decent low-power VM hosts.

abdullah

Jan 25, 2023
I'm guessing the previously-mentioned cooling requirements wouldn't be so bad if pairing this with a 7900/7950 non-X? I really want a few of these for some decent low-power VM hosts.
That's exactly my plan. The efficiency of the 7900 chips is very impressive - check out Gamers Nexus' benchmarks.

carbide

Oct 12, 2021
I think this is going to be the play.
It's so pretty.
I nearly hit the buy button on newegg several times for the -2L2T, now that I know there's a review inbound I'll hold off. That said, I'll be eagerly awaiting this video. Did you attempt to run ESXi on it?

carbide

Oct 12, 2021
I've pulled the trigger on one of these along with a 7900 as a trial balloon for eventually working up to a small ESXi (or Proxmox, depending on stability) cluster. Parts should start showing up over the next few days, please let me know if there are any tests anyone would like me to try.

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
please let me know if there are any tests anyone would like me to try.
  1. Check the BIOS if it has an option to enable or disable ECC functionality.
  2. Check the BIOS if it has an option like "Disable Memory Error Injection" which can be set to "False."
  3. Run the beta version of Memtest86 and check to see if ECC is supported and if error injection is functioning: https://www.passmark.com/temp/memtest86-pro-usb-10.2.1027.zip I would be happy to see a screenshot if error injection is functioning. (I have a Gigabyte B650 board and it does not support error injection.)
  4. Here are instructions to confirm if your board supports error injection on Linux: APEI Error INJection — The Linux Kernel documentation
    1. Check to see if dmesg does show anything like this:
      Code:
      ACPI: EINJ 0x000000007370A000 000150 (v01 INTEL           00000001 INTL 00000001)
    2. Check if "/sys/firmware/acpi/tables" contains an EINJ file.
    3. Check if BIOS has options for APEI or WHEA.

Reactions: vincele6

carbide

Oct 12, 2021
I’ll do what I can with those. In the interest of getting things set up sooner rather than later, I’m using non-ECC ram for this node. Hopefully by the time I’m ready to build the follow on nodes I can actually find 32GB ECC sticks.

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
I’ll do what I can with those. In the interest of getting things set up sooner rather than later, I’m using non-ECC ram for this node. Hopefully by the time I’m ready to build the follow on nodes I can actually find 32GB ECC sticks.
Thanks you can just test it after you get the ECC UDIMMs.

May 20, 2020
I've pulled the trigger on one of these along with a 7900 as a trial balloon for eventually working up to a small ESXi (or Proxmox, depending on stability) cluster. Parts should start showing up over the next few days, please let me know if there are any tests anyone would like me to try.
Please check the Overclocking section of the BIOS, see if there's a way to cap max power usage, e.g. at 105W, 90W, etc. These CPUs underclock well, so this could make your 12 cores or a 16 core more useable WRT thermals.

carbide

Oct 12, 2021
Please check the Overclocking section of the BIOS, see if there's a way to cap max power usage, e.g. at 105W, 90W, etc. These CPUs underclock well, so this could make your 12 cores or a 16 core more useable WRT thermals.
That’s one of the things I’m keen to look into myself. If those options are present, I may use the 7950X for one or both of the other nodes with the power capped around 100W.