ASRock Rack B650D4U MicroATX for Ryzen 7000 processors

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Hmm, might almost be time to upgrade my trusty X470D4U :D

• Micro-ATX (9.6"x 9.6")
  • Support AMD Ryzen 7000 series Processors
  • 4 DIMM slots (2DPC), supports DDR5 ECC/non-ECC UDIMM
  • 1 PCIe5.0 x16, 1 PCIe5.0 x4, 1 PCIe4.0 x1
  • M2_1* (PCIe5.0 x4), M2_2 (PCIe3.0 x4)
  • OCuLink1* (PCIe4.0 x4), OCuLink2** (PCIe3.0 x4 or 4 SATA 6Gb/s)
  • 2 RJ45 (1GbE) by Intel® i210
  • 4 SATA 6Gb/s
  • 1 HDMI, 1 DisplayPort
  • Remote management (IPMI)

Reactions: mach3.2

Chad

Feb 12, 2016
Does anyone have an idea of about when these will become available?

The ASRock page says "Preliminary" to the right of the model name near/at the top of the product page. I can't find this thing on Newegg/Amazon/Ebay.

I won't be buying right away. I figure it will be a good idea to wait a few months for ECC DDR5 to exist more and have prices calm down slightly. But that mobo looks good and I wonder if it will be worth waiting for, or if I might be forced to buy something else (or even stay in the past with AM4 or maybe-intel).

eracerxrs

Oct 26, 2022
For reference; Asrock's WRX80 board took 8 months from "Preliminary" to actually launching.

Hopefully that's not the case here, but the only way to know for sure is to contact them.

Reactions: Chad

Tom S

Jan 31, 2017
Great use of I/O. Much better than the weird Gigabyte boards. Maybe ECC DDR5 will be more broadly available by the time these boards come out.

I've really enjoyed my ASRock Rack X470D4U board. First with a 3950X and now with a 5950X. I'll be watching for prices to fall before I upgrade to 7950X and DDR5 next.

thulle

Apr 11, 2019
Great to see that they shifted the PCIE 16x away from the CPU so a multi-slot GPU doesn't block all the other PCIe-slots.

rootwyrm

Mar 25, 2017
www.rootwyrm.com
I can't say too much about these boards, but I will share what I can.
  • Timeline for availability is extremely variable because it's a matter of demand. Right now there's very high demand for the Genoa boards.
  • ... but if you're thinking 'before May' you might be right.
  • The one you actually want in the B650's is the B650D4U-2T or 2L2T, but it costs you an NVMe slot due to physical constraints
  • PCIe auto-bifurcation on all CPU lanes is likely going to be present (meaning 4x4 or 8x2 NVMe off the 16x)
  • Only the PCIe1x is on FCH; the 16x and 4x are CPU lanes; the other 4x PCH lane is the rear NVMe or BCM
  • The PCIe4x is actually a PCIe4xO, but due to component locations, don't expect anything over an 8x to actually fit
  • I expect the 2L2T to have "availability" first. In quotes because you'll have to buy a 1U2E-B650/2L2T or 1U4L-B650/2L2T
Also take careful note of the power limits. Liquid cooling is extremely non-optional and you'll need a 280mm or 360mm. Use the Arctic Liquid Freezer II with the built-in fan. I'm not saying ASRockRack designed the VRM layouts to suit the LF2 better on post-X470 boards based on feedback, but I'm not not saying that either. ;)

If you're going VMware, I would not recommend this board at this time. Historically, AMD low-end chipsets - even from ASRockRack - have had issues (i.e. B550D4U.) Anything else should be fine, but I would expect PSODs on B650's in general. But there's somebody, somewhere that has tried to HCL the X470 and X570's, and I expect they will try the X670 as well.
Even if I did know (for the record, I don't) if they had an X670 variant in the pipe, I couldn't say. But it would surprise me more to hear they didn't.

L5342

Dec 3, 2022
Thanks for telling us nothing concrete rootwyrm, but if the 1U2E-B650/2L2T ever did come to market I wonder how much it might cost? Not that you would know of course - just a guess. Good job I'm not considering buying one - well I might do - so there's a demand straight away.

dtremit

Aug 20, 2018
Also take careful note of the power limits. Liquid cooling is extremely non-optional and you'll need a 280mm or 360mm. Use the Arctic Liquid Freezer II with the built-in fan. I'm not saying ASRockRack designed the VRM layouts to suit the LF2 better on post-X470 boards based on feedback, but I'm not not saying that either. ;)

If you're going VMware, I would not recommend this board at this time. Historically, AMD low-end chipsets - even from ASRockRack - have had issues (i.e. B550D4U.) Anything else should be fine, but I would expect PSODs on B650's in general. But there's somebody, somewhere that has tried to HCL the X470 and X570's, and I expect they will try the X670 as well.
Even if I did know (for the record, I don't) if they had an X670 variant in the pipe, I couldn't say. But it would surprise me more to hear they didn't.
The liquid cooling requirement is frustrating for anyone looking to put these in a rack. Obviously not ASRock's fault, though; 170W is a high TDP for a processor with such a tiny heat spreader.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the board image strongly suggests an X670 version is coming. X670 is basically two B650 chips in series and you can clearly see an unpopulated footprint for a second identical chip behind the footprint for the 10Gb ports. Also, the OCuLink ports mentioned by @zer0sum in November have disappeared from the spec — but the footprints for those are also still there, unpopulated. It would make more sense for those extra lanes to appear on an X670 version.

Personally I'd really like to see someone introduce an ATX / E-ATX board for X670 — there'd be plenty of lanes available for more than 3 slots — but I suspect that's probably not a particularly big market niche.

(Edit: corrected my typo on the chipset)

Last edited:

Tom S

Jan 31, 2017
Cooling the the 170W TDP parts on high-end desktop coolers shouldn't be a problem. Something like the NH-D15 is not far from an AIO anyway.

The low-profile rack mount systems are in a difficult spot, though.

DaveLTX

Dec 5, 2021
The liquid cooling requirement is frustrating for anyone looking to put these in a rack. Obviously not ASRock's fault, though; 170W is a high TDP for a processor with such a tiny heat spreader.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the board image strongly suggests an X670 version is coming. X670 is basically two X650 chips in series and you can clearly see an unpopulated footprint for a second identical chip behind the footprint for the 10Gb ports. Also, the OCuLink ports mentioned by @zer0sum in November have disappeared from the spec — but the footprints for those are also still there, unpopulated. It would make more sense for those extra lanes to appear on an X670 version.

Personally I'd really like to see someone introduce an ATX / E-ATX board for X670 — there'd be plenty of lanes available for more than 3 slots — but I suspect that's probably not a particularly big market niche.
X670 is 2 B650 in series. And yes, the downstream chipset on a X670 would be responsible for additional PCIE lanes

In actual fact, the AMD chipsets are practically PLX chips with additional function these days even more so than X570.
Sadly, the link to the CPU is still x4 4.0 not 5.0

rootwyrm

Mar 25, 2017
www.rootwyrm.com
Preliminary, EXPECTED TO CHANGE

B550D4U - $305 retail
B550D4U-2T - $440 retail
B650D4U - $375 retail
B650D4U-2L2T - $485 retail

Preliminary, EXPECTED TO CHANGE

This is preliminary from a verified source and reflects estimated street prices. Retail vendors set retail price individually and will differ.
Do not ask me to order you one unless you're buying a full system or full cluster. I do not sell parts retail and have limited slots.
Do not ask me when they will ship. Even if I did have a firm date, I couldn't tell you anyways. The only date I can give is "estimated 1H23."

Last edited:
Reactions: abdullah

Tom S

Jan 31, 2017
Thanks for the info, @rootwyrm . Very helpful.

Looking forward to the B650D4U.

Now if only ASPEED would get their act together and start using HDMI instead of VGA on their BMC chips, I could finally ditch these VGA cables and adapters for good. I can't believe we're still getting VGA ports in 2023.

Reactions: vincele6

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
@rootwyrm that is only for CPU iGPU not BMC.

Graphics
Controller​
ASPEED AST2600:
1 DB15 (VGA), 1 (15-pin) header
AMD Processors with Graphics:
1 HDMI, 1 DisplayPort

Reactions: vincele6

Tom S

Jan 31, 2017
Yep. As far as I can tell, ASPEED doesn't have a part with HDMI output yet.

The DisplayPort and HDMI ports are connected to the CPU iGPU.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Yep. As far as I can tell, ASPEED doesn't have a part with HDMI output yet.
AST2600 supports Video over IP. and afaik DisplayPort.
edit:
the problem with displayport is: the FirmWare of BMC must support DP.
the FW comes from MB manufacturer
edit:
Gigabyte E152-ZE0 uses AST2600 and has mini DP
Gigabyte E152-ZE0.jpg

Last edited:

Tom S

Jan 31, 2017
Good find on that Gigabyte board.

If AST2600 supports displayport, I suppose it's on ASRock for failing to implement it.