Asrock offering DDR3 support on their Haswell-E/EP boards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Pri

Jul 30, 2014
As the front page story explains: http://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-releases-intel-xeon-e5-2600-v3-motherboards-ddr3/

Asrock is offering DDR3 support on some of their new motherboards. This is incredibly strange considering everyone else is doing DDR4 and I assume this is against Intel's specifications.

I currently own an older board by Asrock the EP2C602-4L/D16 and Asrock have now launched the successor to my board with a very similar layout, the EP2C612D16-4L which is a DDR4 board but they've also launched the EP2C612D16T-4L which is again very similar in layout but with DDR3.

I'm actually really happy about this as I can continue to use my 1.35v DDR3 memory which cost me a lot of money in a future upgrade. What are your thoughts on this?

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
I have 2 Asrock board myself. From my source, they said Intel actually support DDR3 but did not say it out loud.

Pri

Jul 30, 2014
I figured that was the case. Same as the chips having extra pads for more stable power delivery which Asus have included pins for in their CPU sockets.

What do you think about this Hank? Would you consider buying a DDR3 board for Haswell-EP or go DDR4 and buy new memory?

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
at the moment, i would go with DDR3 for the cheaper price. but if i need memory bad, i would go with DDR4 down the road