Asrock J4105B-ITX not compatible with Dell Intel i350-T4?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

polaris

Feb 29, 2020
I've bought Asrock J4105B-ITX motherboard and 4 port Dell Intel i350-T4 network card to DIY a home router. Unfortunately, I can't get the network card working with this motherboard. When I plug it in, the motherboard doesn't POST (I get only black screen).

Things I have tried to troubleshoot:
* Updated EFI to latest one (1.30)
* Updated network card firmware to latest one I could find (19.0.12)
* Used different PC to verify network card works - it works on different machine
* Used a different power supply (Seasonic 620W instead of PicoPSU) - no change, still black screen
* Tried changing various EFI settings including PCIe gen and power options - no change, still black screen
* Tried using a different PCIe card in the motherboard (PCIe x1 wifi card) - it works
* Tried "downgrading" network card to 1x by taping other pins - no change, still black screen

I can plug a network cable into the card and green light lights up on the port, so it seems like the power is provided to the card.

Anybody has any ideas? Maybe that motherboard is just not compatible with the card?

Here's my EFI settings: EFI settings

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I don't know if I've seen it mentioned with their i350 NICs, but there have been plenty of Dell HBAs which cause problems with SMBus in some non-Dell machines. If you feel up to it. try taping off pins 5 and 6 on the PCIe card and see if it'll POST correctly.

Reactions: polaris