Asrock C246 & Supermicro SataDOM, not sure..

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Operations

Dec 29, 2019
I have always used Supermicro boards, but since my X11SCL-IF is not booting anymore :( (IPMI is working fine) and buying a new one doesnt seem possible in The Netherlands anymore, i have found an alternative: Asrock C246 WSI

So this is what i will be using:

Xeon E-2224
2 x m378a4g43ab2-cvf (does anymore for sure this will work on my chosen MB?)
Corsair MP510 2TB
SUPERMICRO SSD-DM064-SMCMVN1 - 64GB SATA DOM

The motherboard is like i said the Asrock C246 WSI (The E3C246 also not available here)

I assume this will run ESX 7.0 since it was certified for 6.5.

My question is about the SataDOM.

The MB manual says this:

SATA DOM Power Jumper (3-pin SATAPWR1):

SATA DOM (SATA_4) requires 5V power supply : JUMPER ON 1 & 2

SATA DOM (SATA_4) does NOT require 5V power supply (Default): JUMPER ON 2 & 3

I have never had this Asrock MB and have only used SataDOMs on Supermicro MBs so far.

Do i need to connect the power cable from the DOM to the board and or change the Jumper setting? Or should i use the Default board setting and also not connect the SataDOM power cable?

I don't want to break the mainboard....So i would like to be sure.

Reactions: alexeym

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
If you try it with defaults and it works, everything is fine and won't break either way. If it doesn't work you might indeed need to check if the DOM accepts power over the SATA connector and if not, use the cable.

alexeym

Jun 9, 2022
Having exactly the same issue, super micro 128g Superdome is not recognized by ASRock with pins on 1-2. Did you manage to resolve it?

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
The SATADOM supports power-pins in the SATA connector. For older connectors that do not have power pins on the mainboard you need to use the power cable.

This is referenced here: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - SATA DOM Solutions and here https://download.asrock.com/Manual/C246 WSI.pdf

Only SATA port 4 has DOM power pins (pin 7, the red SATA connector). The jumper needs to be changed from default to pins 1 and 2. If you leave it on 2 and 3 pin 7 is disabled and you MUST use the cable. The cable method always works as it was the default legacy method.

Last edited:

alexeym

Jun 9, 2022
The SATADOM supports power-pins in the SATA connector. For older connectors that do not have power pins on the mainboard you need to use the power cable.

This is referenced here: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - SATA DOM Solutions and here https://download.asrock.com/Manual/C246 WSI.pdf

Only SATA port 4 has DOM power pins (pin 7, the red SATA connector). The jumper needs to be changed from default to pins 1 and 2. If you leave it on 2 and 3 pin 7 is disabled and you MUST use the cable. The cable method always works as it was the default legacy method.
Thank you, external power definitely works, took 5V from the 4PIN sata power connector on the MB. Was hoping it works just with jumper on 1-2 pins and internal power, unfortunately it doesn't for this MB and Supermicro DOM (. So if anyone knows is this expected for this combination? or I have faulty MB that doesn;t provide power on pin 7 red SATA

Reactions: oneplane

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Hmm, that is odd. There is a possibility that it uses more power from the 5v bus than it supports but I doubt it. Since the mainboards like the X10 are from the same generation as the C2xx series it’s all supposed to be equal standards. I’d suggest checking voltages with a multimeter at this point.

alexeym

Jun 9, 2022
I think the reason is that SMCMVN1 SuperDOM series need pin8 power, that is available on Supermicro MBs, while in Asrock it is only pin7 power (there are no pin8 side contacts on red sata slot). It explains ext power only in this case.