Ashrock ROMED8-2T with 7443p faulty?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mirol

Jan 6, 2018
Hi I was using ROMED8-2T with my Epyc 7443P for about a month with 3.2 bios.Everything was working ok till now when I reboot I cant pass 6A postcode on screen its stuck on DXE -- NorthBridge Initialization 6A.I play with swaping ram I got 6x 32gb 3200mhz Samsung rdimm ecc, reset bios reflash bios and at the end disconnect everything and still the same I even reseet cpu as well.I got it once pass bios and boot but next reboot stuck again,Its cpu or motherboard that is faulty what you think guys?

Dolpa

Apr 27, 2017
Hungary
Is there any change on hardware? Maybe new VGA inserted? What is your primary VGA output? Why are you rebooted the server?

mirol

Jan 6, 2018
No changes i only put whole thing to case thats why i turn it off as it was on the box before.Hmm when i take it out on the box and play for a whille works again.When put to case stops again....I will downgrade bios and put epyc 7551

Last edited:

moniker

May 12, 2016
I had this problem with an intel skylake server part in the past - turned out to be a faulty memory controller. In this case I'd guess there's most likely either a cpu issue, bad RAM stick, or maybe dirty contacts somewhere

Dolpa

Apr 27, 2017
Hungary
No changes i only put whole thing to case thats why i turn it off as it was on the box before.Hmm when i take it out on the box and play for a whille works again.When put to case stops again....
So there was a hardware change, the new case maybe has some short circuit or the MB contacts some unwanted metals.

mirol

Jan 6, 2018
Yea i think about it as well but check all is ok in case.Will try with 7551 if it will be ok then 7443 cpu is bad :(

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@mirol double, no tripple check the installed standoffs.
No standoffs installed? Well, that would be an issue.

Standoffs in the wrong places can cause the weirdest behavior.

Once had a SM X9 dual sock Sandy that started throwing 6X codes and other stuff with mem. Didn't make any sense.
There was a Standoff behind the Chipset shorting out some caps and signals.
Removing it made it work flawless.

Reactions: Dolpa

mirol

Jan 6, 2018
I got standoff and actually this mobo required to remove 2 of them from ussuqll place and there is no shortage.I reflashed old bios today and put 7551 cpu and its the same behaviour kinda on box I will make it work after 30 min reseat things and after i move or put it to case it wont boot up but its stuck on post code 02 instead 6a i think motherboard is faulty prob will rma it as with 2 cpus seems to have the same issue.

Reactions: RageBone

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
I got standoff and actually this mobo required to remove 2 of them from ussuqll place and there is no shortage.I reflashed old bios today and put 7551 cpu and its the same behaviour kinda on box I will make it work after 30 min reseat things and after i move or put it to case it wont boot up but its stuck on post code 02 instead 6a i think motherboard is faulty prob will rma it as with 2 cpus seems to have the same issue.
My crystal Ball said 02 is a general memory error. But that is BS.
In my experience, it happens when the PSP in the CPU fails to boot and do its job.
Which should only happen if you are using a weird ES or CPU not meant for that Board or Bios. Like Rome on trx40.
Which you aren't so the only suspicions left would be an issue with the PSU, maybe you have on for the bench and one for the case?
The one in the case being possibly faulty?

Or you have actual physical damage on the Board.
Maybe it flexes or pressures components a certain way on the bench that it doesn't in the case and hence makes it kinda work on the bench but not the case.

Never the less, it is likely a very good idea to RMA the board.
I would really like to know what caused it though, so if you hear anything, please let us know.
In case they find damage caused by you and deny the RMA, you aren't lost, just report it here.

mirol

Jan 6, 2018
I rma it today i mean everything was working ok when it was runn for 5 months on 7502p cpu no prob but when i put 7443 p and update bios to support them that when its started fail.I wouldnt be suprised if its the bios issue but I flash it back to previous to try with 7551 as newewst wont work with 1st epyc gen.Dunno i will update after they finish rma ;f

mirol

Jan 6, 2018
After send board for rma they confirm mobo was faulty... so it was working for like 5 months and died.

Reactions: RageBone

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
good to have the confirmation. My condolences on the dead board.
Can you please try to get out of them what failed?