Aruba AP to IAP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

l7777

Feb 1, 2021
Any ideas about how to troubleshoot this? I guess the first thing to confirm I have a US AP? What markings identify whether this is a US or RW AP? I didn't see anything from mfginfo that said one way or another?

Would trying to get the demo version of the controller software allow it to convert to a US domain?
Thanks for all of the help!

Todd
Can you paste the output of mfginfo?

What have you tried? Different Aruba OS version and another factory reset? Shouldn't matter but won't hurt anything to try. We don't know what you have tried at this point, only that it isn't working.

tssmith2002

Oct 1, 2020
I will paste the output when I am near the AP again tomorrow. I went from 6.3 that was on the AP when I took it out of the box straight to 8.6.0.10_80708 which might have been a mistake. I am researching what the upgrade path would have be normally. An older version might work better for this and try to bring it back to 8.6.0.10.

I tried the upgrade within the Instant UI but it said that the AP was already at the latest version.
Thanks for the help. STH is truly one of the great resources out there.
Todd

tssmith2002

Oct 1, 2020
paste from mfginfo

mfginfo
Inventory:
Card 0: System
Date Code : 062116
Serial : CNBRHMV5BW
Wired MAC : 70:3a:0e:cb:19:2e
Wired MAC Count : 2
Card 1: CPU
Major Rev : 10
Minor Rev/Variant : 00
Assembly : 2010169E
Serial : WG25002A8
Card 2: Antenna
Minor Rev/Variant : 0

tssmith2002

Oct 1, 2020
It was TeraTerm causing issues!!!! I was double-checkiing everything and I noticed that the hash that I was pasting from TeraTerm was wrong! I needed to paste cc6983f643cd4760cf9c008c504afe5f8f039f18 and TeraTerm's clipboard had cc6983f643bd4760cf9c008c504afe5f8f039f18. the difference is 10 characters in which should be a c and TeraTerm's clipboard had d. I cleared the clipboard and trying again. TT 4.7.3 seems to have some issues copying SHA1 hashes from the clipboard.

I would never have found it if not for the persistence of STH that it worked for multiple people and should work for me.

Thanks for your help and double-check that your copied hash is what you think it is.
Todd

l7777

Feb 1, 2021
It was TeraTerm causing issues!!!! I was double-checkiing everything and I noticed that the hash that I was pasting from TeraTerm was wrong! I needed to paste cc6983f643cd4760cf9c008c504afe5f8f039f18 and TeraTerm's clipboard had cc6983f643bd4760cf9c008c504afe5f8f039f18. the difference is 10 characters in which should be a c and TeraTerm's clipboard had d. I cleared the clipboard and trying again. TT 4.7.3 seems to have some issues copying SHA1 hashes from the clipboard.

I would never have found it if not for the persistence of STH that it worked for multiple people and should work for me.

Thanks for your help and double-check that your copied hash is what you think it is.
Todd
That's crazy. I don't know if I would have checked that. Probably would have verified the against the value in mfginfo but totally would have missed the cut/paste issue. Glad you were able to get it going.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I got some 5xx UAP few days ago, all version 8.7.x.x.
My existing VC was running 8.8, so I added all of them. All AP's buy one joined VC and successfully downloaded software, but one AP refuses to join.
When I try to update it manually it doesn't take firmware image. I've used same image to upgrade others and it worked.
When I reset it (paperclip) it asks for country code. Other APs don't.
And when I do "show country-codes" it shows full list of countries (US included), while rest of APs shows only US and territories.

Seems like a country code issue to me, right?
How does setting country code works in 500 series? and if there's a way to see mginfo using CLI, not console?

Seems that 500 series require micro-usb -like console cable. Anyone from Chicago here who got such cable by any chance? (I know chances are slim, but still)

UPD: Can confirm, it was country issue. Was able to upgrade to latest software, and join existing cluster after I set correct CCODE using console. $20 well spend.

Last edited:

charles3ct

Aug 16, 2021
Okay I found this forum the hard way - I have a group of AP325 and also a few IAP-325

I upgrade the AP325 to 8.6 and as I have no controller I did the upgrade via TFTP server with no issues - so now I have an upgraded 8.6 version that still loops looking for its controller.

Now here is an interesting tidbit - if you tftpboot it from the boot image post upgrade it will boot on 8.6 and come up on 8.6 jusst fine - I can login over the WEB GUI or the CLI - and not it seems to think it is a IAP version - In the web there is a convert option that says I can convert to the Remote AP managed by a mobility controller - or a campus AP - or a standalone - Of course keep in mind this is all from tftpboot - If I reboot from the internal boot image is cycles back into the looking for the ADP controller screen as it did prior to the upgrade .... So now what ??

Why the difference when it boots from the tftpboot server and local boot ??

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I think it became unified ap after some verison and in caee it cannot find controller via activate or airwave it searches for iap vc, and if not found becomes one (unless in standalone).
Save 8.6 image to partitionand use it as iap, whats the problem here?

Thats the link that describes changes in boot process:

Last edited:

Volanar

Sep 15, 2020
Has anyone got a converted AP to join a virtual cluster? Ive converted 2 ap325 to iap and for some reason there refusing to join my existing VC even though they can be seen and are in the same vlan as the master.
In case this helps anyone else having problems with joining to a cluster/iap campus...
make sure:
1) you have either have allowed the AP on your master (allowed-ap xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx) where xx.. is the AP mac (you should see an alert on your dashboard view or auto-join "allow-new-aps"

2)if not using dhcp with ntp server (option 42), check the time on your master and your new AP that is trying to join. If the time difference is too large that can cause issues as well.

Also big thanks to pnam2kx, saw your response on reddit (figured they suspended you on there for sharing super secret info? :D) . I was able to unlock a band and join my straggler AP to my virtual cluster by getting the CC codes matched up.

Reactions: pnam2kx

bgw28390

Oct 6, 2021
The process below is converting AP to IAP only with console cable and no controller needed.
Setup TFTP server with firmware ready and connect to the AP with Putty/Serial (Console cable)
Stop the apboot by any key when see this message "Hit <Enter> to stop autoboot:3"
  1. proginv system ccode CCODE-RW-de6fdb363ff04c13ee261ec04fbb01bdd482d1cd
    (Important, to write the country code. When converting to IAP the IAP must have country code to operate. Not sure for US-AP as never tried so because it is tied with US regulation, but for the code try to change only RW to US and keep everything else same. Please try and let us know, if not, need to find out the US with the hashcode accordingly)
  2. invent -w
    (Important, converting AP into IAP)
  3. dhcp
    (Get the ip address for the AP before upgrading os through TFTP.
    If could not get the ip from DHCP server, use this command to set static ip for the ap "setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.2")
  4. setenv serverip 192.168.88.177
    (Set TFTP server ip before flashing the firmware OS)
  5. upgrade os 0 ArubaInstant_xxx_6.x.x.x-4.x.x.x_5xxxx
  6. upgrade os 1 ArubaInstant_xxx_6.x.x.x-4.x.x.x_5xxxx
    (there are 2 boot image on the ap, just to make sure it will not rollback to AP-OS)
  7. factory_reset
    (optional, clean up the static ip that set before)
  8. saveenv
    (IMPORTANT, save the configuration so the "turn off mobility" will not appear)
  9. reset

You can replace the hashcode to change the regulation between RW-US and based on your AP S/N by the following:
Using SHA1 encode the string "US-AP S/N" or "RW-AP S/N" respectively (for exp: US-ABC12345)
After that replace the hashcode accordingly from the converting command.
Thank you very much for this.

Is it possible to write commands to be issued on the next boot from a shell on the device?

rootpeer

Oct 19, 2019
Do we have a list of APs that can be flashed to IAP? Is it just the AP-315, some AP-325s and some AP-225s only?

Last edited:

charles3ct

Aug 16, 2021
Do we have a list of APs that can be flashed to IAP? Is it just the AP-315, some AP-325s and some AP-225s only?

I know the 325 can as I did that a few months back - you will need a controller to do that - I built a VM for that and used a TEMP license you can download the VM version from Aruba online and I think you get 30 days without a license. The process works great and they are all up and running.

Reactions: TXAG26

itsubs

May 9, 2022
Hi all,

I recently converted two AP-325s to IAP using the guide posted earlier. Seemed to have worked well. I can login to the web UI and configure the devices, etc.

Running into a problem with one device - after some time, the IAP reboots itself. This repeats as long as the device is powered up. No idea what's happening or why.

The first device has been fine so far; problem is only with one.

Thanks for you help!

Update: the boot loop seems to only occur when there are no clients connected to the IAP; if a wireless client is connected, then the IAP remains 'stable'
Strange behaviour.

Last edited:

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I think most of 300 series can be flashed to IAP.
500 series can be flashed as well: 518 and 56x models.

Rttg

May 21, 2020
I’m about to mount an AP-325 under an eave as soon as it arrives (looking like early next week). Hoping it’ll be sufficiently protected out of direct exposure to the elements.

Originalus

Dec 22, 2020
looks like Aruba locked latest fw downloads. Nor previous link works with name nor it lets download by registering on Aruba support portal. Does anyone has access to latest fw`s?