Article Suggestion - Surface as a Laptop

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
After reading your post on using the Microsoft Surface RT I want to suggest documenting a day in the life of Patrick with a Surface RT.

Commercials and your comments make it sound like you can ditch a laptop with a Windows RT device. The challenge is to do just that and document the good and the bad.

Full battle report: Can it be done?

Not sure how you would do this with the servethehome format.

Are you in?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I could probably do it on a weekend day where I work on STH. Would be more like running a startup/ being an entrepreneur with this setup as the real life use. Not sure if that is relevant to what you are looking for.

Any ground rules? Others think this would be interesting? I posted Microsoft Surface RT thoughts in a post written completely on the Microsoft Surface RT. I even edited the screenshots on there.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Patrick I guess the bigger question is one of focus - whether putting hours into a more fullblown review for something unrelated to the focus of the site will displace time from the backlog of stuff more related to the focus of the site :) Already a zillion RT reviews, but understandable why people would want the Patrick treatment on every piece of tech that some of the more broadly focused sites would tend to cover.

There's a certain efficiency in the compactness of the reviews on the main site that people no doubt appreciate, I know I do - where its a high concentration of info that gets right to the point without rambling on for 12 pages like your Anandtechs and Tomshardwares, etc..

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I'm thinking of doing weekly or monthly updates. Another thing I want to do is like create a Hyper-V virtual machine for your Windows RT device to RDC into and etc. Less of the general stuff.

What I saw in a lot of the reviews are folks that either work in small businesses or are in school. Not a lot of the corporate/ executive type folks.

Ricoks

Mar 12, 2012
i was thinking of the same thing re: RDC into a Server 2012 VM.
Perhaps to test how the RemoteFx works on it??!! testing how to setup a VDI setup with it and how well it access and streams over both LAN and WAN.