Arista DCS-7050QX-32

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Stril

Sep 26, 2017
Do you have any recommendations? Currently, I am using 4.18.6M and 4.18.11M. The only problem is sometimes the free space, because automatic rotation is not working without problems.
Do you have stability problems with newer versions?

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
What kind of NICs are you guys using with those Aristas?
I have a 7050QX-32S arriving shortly and I'll be using it with Mellanox CX3 Pro cards (HPE branded CX354) and FS.com DACs. Prettyu sure I've seen that combo before.

Speaking of the 7050QX-32s, does anyone know what that latest recommended EOS for it is and have access?

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
I've got a bunch getting ready for production, running EOS-4.27.0F.swi. So far no problems, but haven't put them live yet.

bron

Sep 10, 2021
Can anyone point me to a specific firmware which will allow third-party transceivers to be used on the DCS-7050QX-32-F ? Specifically, I'm running 4.14.16M which seems to let me use Cisco 10 GbE SFP+ optics with Mellanox converters, but not anything else third-party. I've tried SR4 modules from Juniper and LR4 (my preference) from JDSU and Kaiam with no luck.

I already have the 'touch /mnt/flash/enable3px' hack, and even 'no errdisable recovery cause xcvr-unsupported' but none of the above have solved my issues with 3rd party QSFP optics. Any ideas?

Reactions: Robert Townley

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Can anyone point me to a specific firmware which will allow third-party transceivers to be used on the DCS-7050QX-32-F ? Specifically, I'm running 4.14.16M which seems to let me use Cisco 10 GbE SFP+ optics with Mellanox converters, but not anything else third-party. I've tried SR4 modules from Juniper and LR4 (my preference) from JDSU and Kaiam with no luck.

I already have the 'touch /mnt/flash/enable3px' hack, and even 'no errdisable recovery cause xcvr-unsupported' but none of the above have solved my issues with 3rd party QSFP optics. Any ideas?
upgrade to 4.18.x or later and then
service unsupported-transceiver wiprolabs f5047577

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I've got a bunch getting ready for production, running EOS-4.27.0F.swi. So far no problems, but haven't put them live yet.
What're the file hashes ... in case I come across it lying about somewhere?

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
I found a good deal on a 7050T-64 Running 4.18.1.1F and a 7050QX-32S which is running 4.20.9M.

They are both running and working but I have some questions about the firmware.
From the information available here and elsewhere I think the following summarizes the situation:

• the 7050T-64
    • Latest Arista supported EOS version is/was 4.18.
    • Needs 2GB images to work with later firmware.
    • Up to 4.24.2F is available as an 2GB image.
    • Which means that there is no 2GB image available for firmware 4.25 and higher.
    • Upgrading the flash is possible but will not allow you to run the normal non 2GB images since they seem to be hardcoded to not work on specific models. the 7050T-64 being one of those models

• the 7050QX-32S
    • Still supported in latest firmware
    • Needs normal (non 2GB) firmware images.
    • Could run 2GB images but found some notes that it might produce unexpected behaviour.
    • Can run 32 or 64 bit firmware.
    • 4.27.0F is the latest firmware.

My questions
  1. Any advantages running the 64bit image or to put it another way. What would be the usecase for running a 64bit image.
  2. Should I keep them both on the same firmware vesion they both can run or just run the latest version available for each model
  3. Anyone have a lead on the latest firmware versions.
    • Latest 2GB firmware I have been able to find is EOS-2GB-4.23.8.1M.swi
    • Latest 32bit firmware I have been able to find is EOS-4.25.5.1M.swi
    • Latest 64bit firmware i have been able to find is EOS64-4.25.1F.swi

Last edited:

Robert Townley

Dec 23, 2014
What kind of DAC cable? 10G, 25G, etc? I'm not sure what @pjackson issue was. I think DACs are different from SFPs and they might need to be Arista coded. My assumption is if you get those ones from Fiberstore you should be ok. FS is pretty good about RMAing if they don't work but you'll just be out of your time. If you have the "service unsupported-transceiver" command you should be set also but that may not apply to DACs because of how DACs work.

Also it could be as simple as pjackson plugged the DACs in before he issued that command, in which case you just need to re-insert.
Have not tried the firmware hacks. About four years back, FS.com specifically said Mellanox DACs would not work inside the Arista. They custom made DAC cables with Arista on one end and Mellannox on the other. When I get the ends mixed up, it does not work. When plugged-in correctly, they work great. I would like the flexibility and tininess of fiber optics.

Reactions: nedimzukic2

Robert Townley

Dec 23, 2014
FS-coded QSFP28 DACs work fine. At least, I'm pretty sure we got FS-coded DACs, trying to confirm that now. The switches are picky about non-Arista optical modules, but I think DACs are fine. The ones from Mellanox definitely work fine.
That is opposite of my experience, but that is about 4 years ago.

Robert Townley

Dec 23, 2014
nope, way too old
Fodeesha, even if one found a compatible SFP+ module, the Arista would definitely not work with it at 2.5Gps or 5Gps? Hoping an Aquantia ( purchased by Marvell in 2019) based SFP+ would work some magic .... hoping! It is now a "Marvell AQS-107/CX" Sad, because MultiGigaBit can be traced back to IEEE 802 almost twenty years ago. Literally, clearly stated on slide 8 2.5Gbps is completely doable even over plain Cat5 in the "What data rates are feasible on 100m Cat5, Cat5e and Cat6 cables".

Juey, the 10GBase-T specs says 10Gbps works upto 55meters or ~165 feet over Cat6. Have you tried lighting up 10Gbps over your existing wiring?

Lighting up Cat5e at 10Gbps is not in the spec, but is done successfully at a much shorter distance.

Last edited:

Sundalez

Aug 6, 2020
Hi there. Is there anyone here that can help me with the latest eos for the 7280 lineup. We have a switch and need to test the latest software before considering a shift to Arista from dell.

vitrag

Oct 13, 2022
India
Hi,
Does anyone know what is the latest version that can be used in the DCS-7050QX-32?
I have successfully deployed EOS-4.24.11M on 7050QX-32 (2GB flash variant with 2GB EOS file. i beleive that is the last supported version for 2gb flash capacity

vitrag

Oct 13, 2022
India
Team just found out any one can register with a business mail id and download arista EOS images from their website.
Recommend you try that

Reactions: ttvd

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Team just found out any one can register with a business mail id and download arista EOS images from their website.
Recommend you try that
You can download the vEOS lab files, but actual EOS for hardware requires submitting a serial number tied to a valid support contract, IIRC.

Reactions: i386