Arista DCS-7050QX-32

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

k0nf1gt

Apr 12, 2017
Is anyone using this switch in their homelabs? I'm curious about the noise levels after configuring the fan speed override:

switch(config)#environment fan-speed override 50

Joshh

Feb 28, 2017
Is anyone using this switch in their homelabs? I'm curious about the noise levels after configuring the fan speed override:

switch(config)#environment fan-speed override 50
I am, I have it set @ 50% and the temps are fine. I find it a bit quieter than the lb6m. I could probably set it lower if the temps are fine but I am scared of nuking a $700 switch.

neko-kun

May 17, 2016
Anybody know if you can upgrade the switches to EOS-4.17.3F?
I have the firmware file (which is on the reddit homelab ftp server), but haven't bought the switch yet, and am looking into the latest firmware that can be loaded onto the switch.

Joshh

Feb 28, 2017
I saw a video on Safari about managing Arista devices, and came across the XMPP (jabber) client management. Curious if anyone actually does this in production? Not just on Arista.. not sure if other enterprise switches have this feature.

neko-kun

May 17, 2016
Would people be interested in me setting up an ftp with at least the arista firmware file I have, and maybe add more firmware for more devices later on, if I can get my hands on them?

Anybody know if hosting firmware files on a private ftp is something I need to legally worry about (note I am in europe)?

neko-kun

May 17, 2016
There's already the reddit homelab ftp.
True, but not everyone looks there, seeing my pm's, but it's not worth it then.

I have the switch coming from the states and am now looking for dac/breakout cables. Do the generic dac breakout cables from fs work?
1m(3.3ft) 40G QSFP+ to 4SFP+ Passive Breakout DAC Cable | FS.COM
These are only 34 usd while the arista coded ones are 59 usd, if so i'll buy a couple as well as some qsfp->qsfp generic dac cables.

headsling

Aug 10, 2017
Hello all - just picked up a couple of these amazingly cheap switches and I'm new to EOS, so some help would be great.
I've connected two servers sfp+ ports to the switch via a qsfp to sfp+ break out cable. show interfaces ethernet 3/2 and show interfaces ethernet 3/3 shows the links up and the servers report that the link is at 10g but they are unable to ping each other. A direct copper connection between the servers works fine however. Am I missing some secret configuration to enable basic Layer 2 operation of the switch?

thanks in advance.

Joshh

Feb 28, 2017
Hello all - just picked up a couple of these amazingly cheap switches and I'm new to EOS, so some help would be great.
I've connected two servers sfp+ ports to the switch via a qsfp to sfp+ break out cable. show interfaces ethernet 3/2 and show interfaces ethernet 3/3 shows the links up and the servers report that the link is at 10g but they are unable to ping each other. A direct copper connection between the servers works fine however. Am I missing some secret configuration to enable basic Layer 2 operation of the switch?

thanks in advance.
See my other thread.

rkd29980

Mar 22, 2016
I just got a DCS-7050QX-32-R and I am lost. I am not that good with CLI's. Why can't this big expensive enterprise switch have a GUI like all cheap consumer routers have... pisses me off. Anyway, I have no ides how to configure this switch if someone can help. The only machine I have with a serial port is running FreeNAS.

Joshh

Feb 28, 2017
I just got a DCS-7050QX-32-R and I am lost. I am not that good with CLI's. Why can't this big expensive enterprise switch have a GUI like all cheap consumer routers have... pisses me off. Anyway, I have no ides how to configure this switch if someone can help. The only machine I have with a serial port is running FreeNAS.
Because the companies that buy them could give two shits about GUIs, they install them by the thousands and use auto configuration. See my other thread about changing the switch port mode. Also Arista's own documentation is pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: mstrzyze

K D

Dec 24, 2016
How easy is this to setup for basic lab use? Few hosts and VLANs and inter VLAN routing.

Also I saw a post earlier that it is better than the lb6m but I don't have a lb6m and dont have a frame of reference. Can any of you who own this please give some more information? In decibels?

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
How easy is this to setup for basic lab use? Few hosts and VLANs and inter VLAN routing.

Also I saw a post earlier that it is better than the lb6m but I don't have a lb6m and dont have a frame of reference. Can any of you who own this please give some more information? In decibels?
I'm just now getting mine set up, but it is a very very nice switch. Config is all CLI, so 'easy' depends on your level of comfort there. I had not messed with EOS before, but so far I find it pleasant. If you have configured a Cisco anything at the command line you will be fine. The documentation is comprehensive.

I haven't measured how loud it is, but even after turning the fans to 50% of their default setting I found it too loud from the other side of the lab (maybe 30 feet away) and went ahead and moved it into another room.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

Data center loud. Someone managed to lower fan speeds though.

On how hard it is to configure, once you get the Arista config PDF, fairly easy.

Reactions: Bjørn Andreassen

darkconz

Jun 6, 2013
More quiet than the Gnodals and lb6m. But definitely not something you want to keep next to you all day long.

Joshh

Feb 28, 2017
You can lower the fan speed with this command

environment fan-speed override 50

Replace 50 with whatever speed you want. It will give you a big warning about overriding it, but it works fine.