Arista DCS-7050QX-32 Questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I just recieved the switch I ordered off ebay and this is my first data center switch. I have no clue what to do with it and I'm still reading up on it meanwhile here are my immediate questions. Thanks in advance for your help and pardon my sure to be ignorance of basics.

1. I'm unable to figure out how the rails work. The ears seem to have the inner rails built in (about 5 inches) but can't seem to fit them in the outer rails. Below is a picture of the rails. How do I make them fit?
    See Post #7 - The Kit included is the wrong one for 4 Post mounting. Temporarily going to use Gruber Rails to mount the switch.
  2. The seller did not include screw for the rack ears. What size screws do I need.
    Per the Quickstart Guide, screws needed are M4 5 mm screws. Will try the local hardware store tomorrow and confirmed
  3. See Post #8 for noise and fan speed.

F9BBBCF2-5D4E-4ECB-8031-637DC26BE083.jpeg

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I just now realized that I'm missing the screws too...
>thread added to watchlist

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Can you include a picture of the side of the switch as well?

I've got a few of these, and yes, the ears don't work quite like you'd expect.

Most likely, you can use the short ear in your picture, by itself, and the long rails will be a paperweight. *shrug*

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
I just recieved the switch I ordered off ebay and this is my first data center switch. I have no clue what to do with it and I'm still reading up on it meanwhile here are my immediate questions. Thanks in advance for your help and pardon my sure to be ignorance of basics.

1. I'm unable to figure out how the rails work. The ears seem to have the inner rails built in (about 5 inches) but can't seem to fit them in the outer rails. Below is a picture of the rails. How do I make them fit?
  2. the seller did not include screw for the rack ears. What size screws do I need.

View attachment 6838
I bought a couple of the same switch from likely the same vendor off of e-bay. I believe the rack kit they are shipping with the switch is the wrong one. You can use the ears to mount to the front of the rack, but they will not fit with the rails intended for 4 post mounting in that kit. My kit didn't come with any screws either.

I believe the switch is supposed to have inner rails that look like this for 4 post mounting:

Arista ASY-00985-02 Rail Kit with Cables

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Followed the instructions in the quickstart guide to get the switch up and running. Rebooted the switch. I had to do this in my office where my workstation is. Now I'll take it to the rack in the basement and hook it up to the boxes with the 40G switches and see if things work.

Initially will start with a flat network and once I am able to get it to work, will start VLANs and such. I have zero experience with network CLI and am sure I'm going to have several screwups before I get it fully functional.

2017-10-15 20_53_17-COM3 - PuTTY config.png

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I bought a couple of the same switch from likely the same vendor off of e-bay. I believe the rack kit they are shipping with the switch is the wrong one. You can use the ears to mount to the front of the rack, but they will not fit with the rails intended for 4 post mounting in that kit. My kit didn't come with any screws either.

I believe the switch is supposed to have inner rails that look like this for 4 post mounting:

Arista ASY-00985-02 Rail Kit with Cables
You are right. This part is what is needed and matches with the images in the quickstart guide as well. I have reached out to the vendor and will see if he can provide it. If not, I'll just use it with Gruber Rails. I am not comfortable in having this heavy switch just mounted with the front ears alone.

2017-10-15 21_18_36-Arista ASY-00985-02 _ Rail Kit with Cables - Serverworlds.png

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Noise and Fan Speed.

Chapter 8 - Switch Environment Control of the manual lists information on how to monitor the switch thermals as well as manage fans.

As has been previously discussed in a different thread used the command to reduce the fan speed to 40%. Let the switch idle for about an hour and measured the temperatures. Ambient is around 28c.

temp.png

Andrewyi08

Sep 26, 2017
I also got a new Arista DCS-7050QX-32 switches last week, the vendors recommended related kits to me before I paid. That’s really considerate. Now I wanna to buy some some optics and cables, do you guys have any recommendations?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
The seller did not include screw for the rack ears. What size screws do I need.
Per the Quickstart Guide, screws needed are M4 5 mm screws. Will try the local hardware store tomorrow and confirmed
Any updates on that?

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
I also got a new Arista DCS-7050QX-32 switches last week, the vendors recommended related kits to me before I paid. That’s really considerate. Now I wanna to buy some some optics and cables, do you guys have any recommendations?
Which related kit was recommended? Was this from the e-bay seller that is bundling the ASY-00985-03 kit with the switches?

For optics / cables I have had good luck with fs.com and 10Gtek on Amazon.

K D

Dec 24, 2016

M4 6 machine screw from home depot works. But the seller agreed to send me the right rail kit and screws. So currently just keeping the switch on top of the rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Patrick

K D

Dec 24, 2016

The seller sent me the correct rail kit and Thr required screws Apparently these are part of Kit #7000 and not #7001 that I recieved earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: nkw