Arista 7150S Fan mod

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

noacess

Nov 19, 2016
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to quiet my Arista 7150S down a bit with some Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM fans. The problem I'm having is the switch is throwing the error below. Any ideas on how/if this can be reconfigured?

arista>May 6 19:11:57 arista Thermostat: %ENVMON-3-FAN_SPEED_TOO_SLOW: The speed of Fan1/1 is slower than its configured value.
May 6 19:11:57 arista Thermostat: %ENVMON-3-FANFAILED: Fan1/1 failure detected

This is what the environment shows:

Config Actual Speed Stable
Fan Status Speed Speed Uptime Stability Uptime
-------------- ------------ ------ ------ ------- --------- -------
1/1 Failed 100% 31% Offline N/A N/A

Thanks for the help!

dzzz781

Apr 27, 2019
Hey. Were you able to fix this? Have you tried to lower fan speed with #environment fan-speed override 30? Theoretically this should lower fan speed from stock 15000RPM to ~5000RPM, which is Noctua max speed.

noacess

Nov 19, 2016
Hey. Were you able to fix this? Have you tried to lower fan speed with #environment fan-speed override 30? Theoretically this should lower fan speed from stock 15000RPM to ~5000RPM, which is Noctua max speed.
I did end up doing what you suggested and it fixed the issue in that at least it made the errors go away. I'll probably just leave it like this since its in my basement and temps are pretty low. I just wish there was a OS setting where I could tell the switch a new min/max so it could set the RPMs based on need instead of having them set at 5K RPM all the time. I could try and use a pwm signal generator but that seems a little extreme. At the end of the day I wish I hadn't bothered buying the noctuas since at 5K RPM they're not much quieter than the stock fans as far as I can tell. Anyone have any suggestions for quiet fans that'll run at up to 15K RPM? :)

Thanks for the responses!

Alert Critical
Temp Setpoint Limit Limit
Sensor Description (C) (C) (C) (C)
------- ----------------------------------- ------- ----------- ------ ---------
1 Cpu temp sensor 28.5 (N/A) N/A 95 100
2 Rear temp sensor 21.6 (N/A) N/A 65 75
3 Board temp sensor 28.0 (N/A) N/A 55 65
4 Front-panel temp sensor 24.2 (N/A) N/A 55 65
5 Board temp sensor 28.0 (N/A) N/A 75 85
6 FM6000 temp sensor 34.6 (N/A) N/A 92 100
PowerSupply 1:
Alert Critical
------- ----------------------------------- ------- ----------- ------ ---------
1 Power supply sensor 23.0 (N/A) N/A 60 70
PowerSupply 2:
Alert Critical
1 Power supply sensor 25.5 (N/A) N/A 60 70