Arista 7050qx-32s really cheap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oddball

May 18, 2018
Came across this on ebay today (not my listing): Arista DCS-7050QX-32S-F Dual AC w/ fans 32-Port QSFP Switch | eBay

Looks like someone took out the USB DOM from each of these so they won't boot. You can buy a USB DOM for $15-20 (usb dom | eBay)

If anyone is looking to get into Arista this is an excellent platform. I'd be willing to bet the seller would move down on price as well. I'd try as low as $250 and see what happens.

This is 32 40gbe ports, or 31 40gbe and 4x 10gbe.

Reactions: BackupProphet

oddball

May 18, 2018
They have a USB slot. From aboot (their boot loader, which seem to be working for this auction) you:

aboot> copy usb1:EOS-4.20.1F.swi flash:
aboot> boot

aboot scans the flash for any version of EOS. If it finds a bootable file but no configuration it creates empty config files and a clean slate.

You can also boot straight from a USB drive if you don't want to buy a USB DOM. I've booted switches from flash drives, works the exact same as if the storage was internal, except you have a little flash drive sticking out the front.

Interesting thing about Arista, the flash is only needed at boot. The entire OS resides in ram. So you can boot from USB, and once it's booted pull the stick. You'll only need the USB stick if you want to persist config beyond boots.

For reference I purchased a switch in a similar state, no USB DOM and no RAM. I had some spares sitting around, tossed both in and on my way. Switch has been running fine since.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
That's easy. I didn't want any more 40Gb since I want to go 25 but that's compelling.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I haven't looked at these in a while, the red handles of the fans indicate air flow, which is this? Front->back or back->front?

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Came across this on ebay today (not my listing): Arista DCS-7050QX-32S-F Dual AC w/ fans 32-Port QSFP Switch | eBay

Looks like someone took out the USB DOM from each of these so they won't boot. You can buy a USB DOM for $15-20 (usb dom | eBay)

If anyone is looking to get into Arista this is an excellent platform. I'd be willing to bet the seller would move down on price as well. I'd try as low as $250 and see what happens.

This is 32 40gbe ports, or 31 40gbe and 4x 10gbe.
These are the Arista Crows without mSATA/M2 and only 1 laptop SODIMM slot, right? Hmmm...going to try some lowballing and see what I can do here.

oddball

May 18, 2018
Yes, these are the Crow devices with the mSATA/M2 and one DIMM. It's a UDIMM.

In terms of buying cables. DAC's from FS.com work. I have a bunch of Cisco cables working too. There's a command you can send to EOS that allows any and all transceivers, PM me if you're interested. I buy what's cheap on eBay, usually I look for "40gb aoc". I've purchased Cisco AOC's for $15.

Uh... Just took a glance at eBay, and prices are a LOT higher than when I was purchasing a few months back. Maybe $30-40/cable now. I'd say watch for deals. They come by in waves. Someone will have a batch of cables they dump and prices hit the floor.

oddball

May 18, 2018
It should work - my use case is passive direct connect from one 40GbE node to another, so I am not 100% on acceptance on the Arista end. I typically get them for $15 shipped stateside, but as long as the vendor is reliable, $9/cable will do the job as well.
That will work, you need a toss a code in your config, but they should work fine.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Yes, these are the Crow devices with the mSATA/M2 and one DIMM. It's a UDIMM.

In terms of buying cables. DAC's from FS.com work. I have a bunch of Cisco cables working too. There's a command you can send to EOS that allows any and all transceivers, PM me if you're interested. I buy what's cheap on eBay, usually I look for "40gb aoc". I've purchased Cisco AOC's for $15.

Uh... Just took a glance at eBay, and prices are a LOT higher than when I was purchasing a few months back. Maybe $30-40/cable now. I'd say watch for deals. They come by in waves. Someone will have a batch of cables they dump and prices hit the floor.
The QX32S has a SATA M2 port along with the USB2 DOM? That can be very useful. EOS has an onboard hypervisor facility, right?
Are the RAM type non-ECC Desktop DDR3L (1.35v) UDIMM? If I get my offer accepted I am going to toss 16GB on the chassis and see how far I can go with it.

oddball

May 18, 2018
Yes, the DOM and m.2. I purchased a 256GB m2 SSD off Amazon and it's been plugging away without issue. EOS is build on Fedora with the KVM hypervisor build in. But virtual-machines are native to EOS, there are switch level commands to spin them up and monitor them. Or you can escape to bash and configure there.

The UDIMM is ECC, which makes it really hard to find the 16GB module.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
There is a lot of pending offers and seems seller is not bending down on the price.