Areca Volume Set vanished

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

psc

Jun 30, 2019
Whilst away for the weekend, my 1883ix-16 logged

DRAM 1-Bit ECC
DRAM Fatal Error

and also, at some point, kicked a disk out of one of the RAID sets. When I returned, Linux had remounted loads of stuff read-only, and the controller was beeping but unresponsive over the network, so I only discovered the DRAM errors after hard reboot. I suspect some stuff is missing from the log as a result of the memory problem (there's no indication of a disk being kicked, for example...). On starting, it's now showing the incomplete raid set as both incomplete and empty - no volume sets. Obviously, I've a new DDR3 module on its way already!

Before I start mucking about at disk level to try and restore the volumes, does anyone know of an official way to recover missing volume sets?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I don't have any experience with areca, only microchip and broadcom.

This is what I would do:
I would shut down the system and wait until the new dimm arrives (to prevent any damage to the array).
While the system is down look up the manuals.
When dimm arrives, replace the damaged with the "new" one and boot into bios/uefi and check if the controller adds options to check the drives, array etc without any os interference. If array/volume is found, run a consistency check. If nothing is found make a ranting post about areca controllers :D
Start thinking about backups.

psc

Jun 30, 2019
Yeah, that's pretty much the current plan. I've offline backups of my data array, but this raid set held my virtuals and similar stuff that should be rebuildable if necessary (with time...). I know the raid\volume set config is stored at the front of each disk, and that which disk in the raid set it is just gets represented by an incrementing byte, so I'm hoping at least one disk has a complete signature to use for the others in the worst case. I guess I'll also be seeing if I can reach Areca themselves; I've no support conract, but I bought it new (my 3rd Areca) so I might get somewhere. I'd swap in one of the other controllers, but they're older generation and SATA not SAS :-(