Areca disk order and reconstituting a failed array?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jac

Oct 21, 2012
Bellevue, WA
I used to utilize a hot spare and after some past disk failures my Areca disk order is not easy for me to sort which disk is on which port.

I have two raid5 raidsets. Raid Set #00 (5 spindles) and Raid Set #01 (6 spindles).

Raid Set #01 had a mechanical failure (buzzing noise) logged as Slot10 and before I could get it swapped, a second drive Slot03 was tossed out of the array marking Raid Set #01 failed. While the system was powered on, I followed the cables and pulled the disk I believed to be Slot10 and was right. I then pulled the disk I believed to be Slot03 but Areca believes it is Slot07. Raid Set #00 went into degraded state so I re-inserted that disk waited for Raid Set #00 to rebuild to 100%.

I'm not confident the second drive (Slot03) is defective but to be safe, I powered down the system and disconnected all drives of Raid Set #01.

My questions are,

How do you accurately identify the disks when hot swap mode re-orders them?

Assuming the second disk (Slot03) is readable, can I use dd to clone each disk then plug the cloned disks into another Areca system and bring that array online to a degraded state, then insert a disk (Slot10) and rebuild the array to 100% ?

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Well sounds like you dont have your cables plugged in in order. That would be the first thing to sort out. If you pulled 3 and it said 7, something with your counting and/or wiring job is off.

Secondly Stop using a HotSpare. I have a cold spare on site, that I can pop in if a real drive failure occurs, otherwise I dont want my controller doing any decision making for me.

jac

Oct 21, 2012
Bellevue, WA
Ok, on closer inspection, my cables are plugged in different than I thought I had them. I'll fix that momentarily.

I did stop using online hot spares a while ago because of the disks auto-rebuilding on their own if you had a cable not fully seated on power up.

I guess that just leaves my question if member disks can be cloned individually and worked with in another system?

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Yes you can do that....I cannot vouch for DD, but have used R-Studio to do a recovery where I cloned each drive and worked with the clones to reconstruct my RAID6 array.