are you supposed to turn off servers before moving them on their rails?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
Was racking my SC846, which was separate from my Norco and C6100 chassis.

I had my norco and c6100 slightly slid outwards previously, and have been using them for very light duty (holding a empty patch panel, or installing 3.5" drives into sleds).

Slid the Norco back in on its rails, caused a purple screen of death on esxi, and it won't boot off the internal usb stick anymore.

Slid my c6100 back in on its rails, xen sled/blade doesn't see any of the disks (position 1). moved sled and associated disks to a spare slot (position 3), and it sees the disks and boots okay.

Did I cause some ESD? I've never had this happen before. Killed all my home infrastructure, still haven't recovered my norco setup yet. Grrrrr.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I've never turned off gear to slide it on its rails - thats the reason folding cable management arms exist is so that things can slide out easy. How would you ever go about replacing a hot-swap fan in a 2U chassis otherwise?

lmk

Dec 11, 2013
Very rarely every turned off server when getting to something/sliding on rails.

Maybe you bumped the USB? Cables pulled/tugged without slack?

A loose power cable could have caused the power to drop/rise and cause disruption on the other devices powered on same circuit.

Either way, definitely strange to have that happen as a result.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
If you have everything grounded properly and cables secured, etc, then there should be no problem sliding the chassis in/out while running. Of course, if you have some form of ground problem you might see static release when you slide it in or out - never good. Or if you have loose power cables, usb cables, etc, that get wiggled then all bets are ff.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I'm less worried when I move with SSDs. HDD I always worry about making a head crash but I know that's hard to do.