Are Tyan Boards Any Good?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I think I need to know which pcie ID, 25:00.0 or 43:00.0 or 44:00.0 corresponds to sata12 so that when you toggle pass through for each of these devices, which path makes the data store go away. Then I won’t touch this device when I’m doing pass through.
unfortunately my testing didn't work out too well! I had vmhba0,1 as the m.2 drives, vmhba2,3,4 as the sata hba. I plugged a sata disk into the sata 12 connector shown above. I then tried to toggle pci pt with vmhba3 then vmhba4 then vmhba2. none were successful in passing through the pci device to win10 vm or linux vm. the vmhba3 showed the most promise but ultimately the vm would not boot. when I toggled vmhba4, both vmhba3,4 disappeared and I could not get them back until I disconnected the sata drive (and after a purple screen crash!). I also tried to toggle vmhba2 but that had the same effect as toggling vmhba3 (vm wouldn't start). Not sure where to go from here. I don't know if there is an issue with vmware 6.7u3 when trying to passthru a sata device to a vm or if it is something else that I am overlooking.
jp

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
unfortunately my testing didn't work out too well! I had vmhba0,1 as the m.2 drives, vmhba2,3,4 as the sata hba. I plugged a sata disk into the sata 12 connector shown above. I then tried to toggle pci pt with vmhba3 then vmhba4 then vmhba2. none were successful in passing through the pci device to win10 vm or linux vm. the vmhba3 showed the most promise but ultimately the vm would not boot. when I toggled vmhba4, both vmhba3,4 disappeared and I could not get them back until I disconnected the sata drive (and after a purple screen crash!). I also tried to toggle vmhba2 but that had the same effect as toggling vmhba3 (vm wouldn't start). Not sure where to go from here. I don't know if there is an issue with vmware 6.7u3 when trying to passthru a sata device to a vm or if it is something else that I am overlooking.
jp
what values do you have in /etc/vmware/passthru.map?

donileo

May 17, 2018
Does the S8030GM2NE support just one stick of ram with the epyc 7002 series? Seems like the Supermicro H12 boards do..

dante4

Jul 8, 2021
What you want is the ability to set fan control separately for zones (CPU,SYS,PWR etc) and set the fans to spin up and ramp down depending on temps for these zones.

The Tyan board does have temp monitoring zones but ALL the fans are controlled by that SINGLE duty cycle value - and it is either manual (so 33% duty cycle) OR it is full speed/100%

Even for servers that spend all their time in racks, having fans at 100% speed or not being able to vary duty cycle automatically is ... something from 1980s !

The Tyan person who responded to my support ticket asked me to reflash the BIOS - but the manual doesn't state any 'AUTO' setting ... so I've asked him to re-confirm before I needlessly reflash the BIOS
I can confirm that it's not true. Via IPMI you can set PWM separately for each PWM header

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
So... not to derail the thread or anything, but are Tyan boards any good?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Why do people make such a fuss about their 2 x24 PCIe slots?
people have 2 x24 slots ? can you explain ?
if you mean some boards with proprietäry PCIe slots:
these boards are made for server chassis / riser usage.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
people have 2 x24 slots ? can you explain ?
if you mean some boards with proprietäry PCIe slots:
these boards are made for server chassis / riser usage.
Right, some people have made a big deal about the two x24 PCIe slots on some of their E-ATX boards like S8026 (SP3) or S7106 (Dual LGA3647). I haven't personally planned or deployed around these boards, so I'm not familiar with what the big deal is. Can't you use any x24 PCIe riser on them? And if you don't need more than a couple x16 slots, you can use the x24 slots directly?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Right, some people have made a big deal about the two x24 PCIe slots on some of their E-ATX boards like S8026 (SP3) or S7106 (Dual LGA3647)
S8026: the two x24 are for right and left orientated Riser Card (full size cards in a 2U chassis)
ASUS makes similar boards with x24 slots, Supermicro uses x32 multi connector slots in they're WIO motherboards.
these are all server boards, not consumer stuff, the Riser cards must be fit for the model.
Can't you use any x24 PCIe riser on them?
right. you need tyan riser card.
for supermicro you need supermicro riser card.
there are components, data/clock buffers, stuff for auto bifurcation etc.
you don't need more than a couple x16 slots, you can use the x24 slots directly?
afaik NO !

Reactions: zac1

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
S8026: the two x24 are for right and left orientated Riser Card (full size cards in a 2U chassis)
ASUS makes similar boards with x24 slots, Supermicro uses x32 multi connector slots in they're WIO motherboards.
these are all server boards, not consumer stuff, the Riser cards must be fit for the model.

right. you need tyan riser card.
for supermicro you need supermicro riser card.
there are components, data/clock buffers, stuff for auto bifurcation etc.

afaik NO !
Ah, thanks for the pointers! Going to have to see what kind of chassis these boards might fit into with risers...

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Ah, thanks for the pointers! Going to have to see what kind of chassis these boards might fit into with risers...
don't buy these board type if you plan to build a workstation.
this is special mboard with huge memory/drives support, not for GPU usage.
there are many other models with long GPU support without these special x24 slots.

Reactions: RE0

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
don't buy these board type if you plan to build a workstation.
this is special mboard with huge memory/drives support, not for GPU usage.
there are many other models with long GPU support without these special x24 slots.
Yeah, I got the impression these would make a good platform for NVMe storage servers. I just need to find the right chassis. Anybody have suggestions for 1U - 2U chassis for these kinds of boards?

Edit: hey, neat — a thread exists! https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...he-new-epyc-tyan-s8026gm2nre-w-oculink.19801/

Last edited:
Reactions: RE0 and RolloZ170

Ivan Dimitrov

Jul 10, 2016
Hi, I am considering jumping to the Epyc bandwagon and 8030 and H12SSL seems to be the most logical options. I don't understand why 8030 is currently half the price in ebay from the Chinese sellers? The H12SSL price is defiantly exaugurated as I can find it locally cheaper new with warranty but the difference is anyway significant.
Is the Tyan board missing any features? Any cut backs in the virtualization/bifurcation support?
The PWM peculiarities discussed here doesn't seem to justify the price reduction.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Hi, I am considering jumping to the Epyc bandwagon and 8030 and H12SSL seems to be the most logical options. I don't understand why 8030 is currently half the price in ebay from the Chinese sellers? The H12SSL price is defiantly exaugurated as I can find it locally cheaper new with warranty but the difference is anyway significant.
Is the Tyan board missing any features? Any cut backs in the virtualization/bifurcation support?
The PWM peculiarities discussed here doesn't seem to justify the price reduction.
None - Supermicro is a better known brand than Tyan and hence commands more price. Also Supermicro has been better with after sales support than Tyan. Just make sure you get the latest versions of the Tyan and Supermicro boards

For Tyan - the latest version (R02) adds a 64MB BMC chip instead of a 32MB, this has implications for BMC firmware
For Supermicro - the latest revision (R1.02) relocates certain components that are easily damaged (check the forums here for H12-SSL problems)

Reactions: vvkvvk