Are there any decent top-loading USB3 SD card readers?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DrDanger

Jul 9, 2020
This seemed like the most relevant subforum to post in, I'm looking for a new SD card reader. I am a hobbyist photographer so I'm constantly unplugging and plugging SD cards into my cheapo $10 usb card reader. I would really like to replace this with a better solution, but I cannot find anything. As it stands, it plugs into my USB hub but it's close to the desk which makes it hard to access while plugged in, and half the time hotplugging cards doesn't work and I have to reconnect the reader itself.

In a perfect world I'd want a card reader that has an extension cord, heavy base, slots on top, runs cool, and properly works when hotplugging cards. Are there any readers out there like this?

Failing that, is there a reader out there that at least runs cool and hotplugs properly? I could manufacture a custom enclosure to get top loading and extension cord.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
This doesn't directly answer your question, but I added a CalDigit TS3 Plus and I'm really happy with the SD (UHS-II) slot in it. I leave my laptop connected to this dock, and I hotplug cards frequently. Great performance, solid build.

What are your requirements? Do you specifically want a USB-A sized card reader? What ports do you have available on your machine?

DrDanger

Jul 9, 2020
This doesn't directly answer your question, but I added a CalDigit TS3 Plus and I'm really happy with the SD (UHS-II) slot in it. I leave my laptop connected to this dock, and I hotplug cards frequently. Great performance, solid build.

What are your requirements? Do you specifically want a USB-A sized card reader? What ports do you have available on your machine?
Definitely needs to plug into a USB3 type A port, preferably with a cable instead of a stick-style device. And like I said, I'm looking for something where you stick the cards in on top instead of the side, although I have yet to find any readers at all that work like this.

DrDanger

Jul 9, 2020
This looks pretty good, nice find. The only thing I wish it had different was a nice heavy base, I have a feeling I will need to adhere this to the desk if I want to be able to easily pull cards out without holding it down with my other hand. Also now that I think about it, this is narrow enough that I could potentially stick it underneath the front lip of my desk for easy access. I'll probably go with it if I can't find anything better.

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany

Bought it a few years ago but it didn't do well on the USB 3 Ports of my old Motherboard (Asus z9pa-d8). I've tried again connected to a SilverStone SST-ECU05 card and it works quite nicely. It's not as heavy as I'd like but a bit of velcro tape can fix that.

Edit: Reading the 1 star ratings of this and similiar looking products from Cateck, Alcey, ... I probably wouldn't buy it again, much less recommend it.

Last edited:

DrDanger

Jul 9, 2020

Bought it a few years ago but it didn't do well on the USB 3 Ports of my old Motherboard (Asus z9pa-d8). I've tried again connected to a SilverStone SST-ECU05 card and it works quite nicely. It's not as heavy as I'd like but a bit of velcro tape can fix that.

Edit: Reading the 1 star ratings of this and similiar looking products from Cateck, Alcey, ... I probably wouldn't buy it again, much less recommend it.
Yeah the reviews on that one aren't so hot but it did give me the idea to search for "usb hub and card reader" which provides a lot of similar, less sketchy stuff. I found this one which seem almost perfect, although I will probably need to secure it to the desk. most of the 1 star reviews are complaining about the cable which I can replace with a better one.