Are there 2.5GBase-T SFP+ modules?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
Have you tried some regular gigabit injectors and failed, or just can't find any rated for 2.5g? An injector is just an extra set of ethernet magnetics with the center taps connected to power. I don't have my APs yet, but in theory the gigabit ones should work if the cable run is well short of limits. I have cat6 throughout which should help with that as well.

Engenius sells "proprietary passive" PoE injectors too, so at compliant shouldn't be a requirement as long as it's 56V with enough current.

FRPII

Dec 2, 2015
Have you tried some regular gigabit injectors and failed, or just can't find any rated for 2.5g? An injector is just an extra set of ethernet magnetics with the center taps connected to power. I don't have my APs yet, but in theory the gigabit ones should work if the cable run is well short of limits. I have cat6 throughout which should help with that as well.

Engenius sells "proprietary passive" PoE injectors too, so at compliant shouldn't be a requirement as long as it's 56V with enough current.
They'll impact negotiations. All my ubiquiti injectors have failed down to 100mbps, for example.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
MA-INJ-5-XX: Meraki Multigigabit 802.3at Power over Ethernet Injector (XX = US/EU/UK/AU)

Multi gig POE injectors certainly exist.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
30 watts comes up a bit short for some newer APs
Yes I had a feeling the Cisco catalyst 9000 series and the Meraki MR45/MR55 were rather power efficient especially given all the radios they run.

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
If anyone is interested, Amazon has the 4x4 version of these listed for $199, but they are backordered. I bought some more to blanket the house in AX goodness. I have plenty of attic space to run wires for new AP locations.

Any recommendations on how to determine e where to put these other than a best guess kind of thing? Is there an app that can be used to optimize positioning for coverage?

FRPII

Dec 2, 2015
Without the big boys tools it's more a matter of sticking an AP in a location and seeing how the coverage is.

Impressively large house if you need multiple APs

AlphaG

Jun 8, 2017
Without the big boys tools it's more a matter of sticking an AP in a location and seeing how the coverage is.

Impressively large house if you need multiple APs
It is a large house but two AP’s cover a majority. Just want more even coverage and some outdoor spill of Wi-Fi.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I am hoping ‘ax’ better sensitivity will allow my place to work better on one access point instead of 2, some reason in my old setup the roaming is bad.

Anyway let’s see if ax is much different or has anything to offer, my 4x4 has arrived, have to install it in a central place though and weighing well over a kilogram will need to be actually mounted and cables routed.

keenanj

May 8, 2020
Last edited:

bbqdt

Sep 15, 2019

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
since this thread was resurrected, has anyone tried the AQS-107 SFP+ transceiver in an icx 6610 or other ICX 6xxx switch? Does it link at 5/2.5g?

Seems like it could make them work with Ngbase-t ?
Ordered 2 of the Optcore version! Seems like it should work since it links with the switch at 10G and converts internally.

Going to try with a genuine Cisco AIR-PWRINJ6. Seen some reports that NBase-T will link at 2.5 or 5 through a 1Gb injector, just not 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evan and bbqdt

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
I don't understand why they now are creating all these intermediate standards when excellent 10G Intel networking has been around for over a decade.

You can get Intel x520 cards for $50 on eBay if you shop wisely. There is absolutely no need for that 2.5G or 5G Aquantia garbage.

bbqdt

Sep 15, 2019
I don't understand why they now are creating all these intermediate standards when excellent 10G Intel networking has been around for over a decade.

You can get Intel x520 cards for $50 on eBay if you shop wisely. There is absolutely no need for that 2.5G or 5G Aquantia garbage.
It works better on existing cables (mostly), supposedly lower power, and cheaper. Although your right, 10g is almost the same in those areas at this point.

keenanj

May 8, 2020
It is because of Wi-Fi 6 AP's like the EWS377AP they can saturate 1Gb links and business do not want to re cable it is the most expensive part of the Wi-Fi install. 2.5Gb will run over cat 5e at the same distances.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbqdt

TRACKER

Jan 14, 2019
It is because of Wi-Fi 6 AP's like the EWS377AP they can saturate 1Gb links and business do not want to re cable it is the most expensive part of the Wi-Fi install. 2.5Gb will run over cat 6e at the same distances.
2.5Gb will run over cat 5e at the same distances :)

Reactions: keenanj

AdditionalPylons

Apr 12, 2016
Oslo, Norway

I can think of at least three reasons, all dealbreaking for the people it concerns:
1. 10 GbE does not support Power over Ethernet.
2. There are thousands of metres of CAT5E in schools, universities, corporate buildings etc. that needs something faster than 1 GbE to connect to WiFi access points. Labor cost for rewiring is way more expensive than the price of the equipment.
3. There are a lot of computers these days which don't have PCIe slots:
- Laptops
- Macs
- Mini-PCs (NUC etc.)
(Regarding the last point, yes you can get 10G Thunderbolt NICs for about $150-$200, but my point is mainly that yes, there is a need for that 2.5G or 5G Aquantia "garbage" for a lot of people out there.)

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Just a nit-pic - 10GbaseT does support PoE. For example Ubiquiti has a small 10GbaseT PoE switch on the market.

AdditionalPylons

Apr 12, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Just a nit-pic - 10GbaseT does support PoE. For example Ubiquiti has a small 10GbaseT PoE switch on the market.
That is interesting. I stand corrected. Thanks!