Are the HP CN1000E good cards for 10GbE networking?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I know these are CNA cards, but can they be used just for 10GbE network cards with native Linux support? Or, is it required to use the HP drivers? From the description, sounds like they might just be Emulex adapters?

HPE Support document - HPE Support Center

Do they perform well? They seem to be cheap on eBay...

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Old, and probably power hungry but I am sure they perform well. See the supported OS, drivers may be fun.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Old, and probably power hungry but I am sure they perform well. See the supported OS, drivers may be fun.
old, but that's about as old as the Mellanox ConnectX-2 cards that everyone around here seems to like for cheap 10GbE?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
old, but that's about as old as the Mellanox ConnectX-2 cards that everyone around here seems to like for cheap 10GbE?
But connectX-2 have better modern OS driver support from what I see. Don't really know just saying heads up on drivers

sentania

Dec 4, 2016
I have 8 of these in ESX hosts. They work just fine, and provide more throughput than I ever got out of a set of ConnectX-2 cards.

No idea on the power consumption, but probably horrendous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evan

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I have 8 of these in ESX hosts. They work just fine, and provide more throughput than I ever got out of a set of ConnectX-2 cards.

No idea on the power consumption, but probably horrendous.
so you're saying they perform better than the ConnectX-2 cards? by what margin?

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I perf tests in a centos 6 vm would usually top out at 5-6 gbps on the X2. With the Cn1000e, I usually get 8-9
that's not quite my experience, at least not with CentOS 7 and iperf3. I just tested a bunch of single and dual port ConnectX-2 cards using SFP+ fiber tranceivers and 8.9-9.4 Gbps.

sentania

Dec 4, 2016
that's not quite my experience, at least not with CentOS 7 and iperf3. I just tested a bunch of single and dual port ConnectX-2 cards using SFP+ fiber tranceivers and 8.9-9.4 Gbps.
Interesting. Unfortunately, I gifted the X2s to a friend so I can't do deeper testing to make sure it wasn't something environmental

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
5.6Gbps sometimes happens when running test from a Windows machine. I never had issues with Linux to Linux testing.
Seems like the networking stack on Windows is finicky with these ConnectX 2 cards. There are several other threads about this problem on here. I eventually managed to get the right transfer speeds by testing SMB file copying.

iPerf might also have different default settings on the Windows version. I got better performance by manually setting the window size. Also recommended to use iPerf 2 for Windows systems.