Are Supermicro X9 IPMI firmware universal across all X9 systems?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I just noticed that Supermicro has a new IPMI firmware for the X9DRH-7F:

The version is 3.62, which is the highest version I have seen to date. Just wondering if this IPMI firmware can also be applied to other X9 generation system boards? Supermicro doesn't list this version for some of the other X9 models, but it could be that they haven't updated their website.

Reactions: chinesestunna

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
They are so far as I can tell. The checksums are the same for previous versions if you compare the downloads for various boards.

Reactions: BLinux

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
They are so far as I can tell. The checksums are the same for previous versions if you compare the downloads for various boards.
Thanks... I guess I'll give it a try. I have a board where the IPMI interface has gone offline. Hoping a re-flash might bring it back to life.

webjunkie

Mar 17, 2016
They definitely are not all the same. We've had issues with some versions causing problems. We've found that generally you can use them across boards as long as the boards have the same onboard networking, but otherwise, be very careful. It could cause problems, and even rolling back to another version might not fix it.