are HP Blade heatsinks(CPU1 & CPU2) interchangeable?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

madLyfe

Jul 18, 2017
on a BL465c G7 the heatsinks have their own PNs and was wondering if they were designed differently or what? can i use a CPU1 specific heatsink on the CPU2 socket?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
If I recall correctly, both are the same size, but one has a higher fin density, and therefore more surface area. Pretty certain that that's the rear one. I think for the most part they should be interchangeable, especially if you're nowhere near the upper temperature limit for the C7000 chassis (30C+).

madLyfe

Jul 18, 2017
If I recall correctly, both are the same size, but one has a higher fin density, and therefore more surface area. Pretty certain that that's the rear one. I think for the most part they should be interchangeable, especially if you're nowhere near the upper temperature limit for the C7000 chassis (30C+).
actually im trying to get it running outside of the c7000/c3000 chassis with fans directly on the heatsinks so i shouldnt have an issue. ya i was researching more and found out what you are talking about. why are they different?

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
Due to air flow, blades suck air in from the front and move it through. In order to cool the second cpu as well as the first it needs more air to surface ratio (ie more fins) to deal with the higher temps of the air coming from CPU 1.

Reactions: madLyfe

madLyfe

Jul 18, 2017
Due to air flow, blades suck air in from the front and move it through. In order to cool the second cpu as well as the first it needs more air to surface ratio (ie more fins) to deal with the higher temps of the air coming from CPU 1.
since the CPU2 heatsink is towards the front of the enclosure and in front of CPU1, does it have less fins to let air past more easily? i mean i get that the CPU1 heatsink has more fins because it needs better cooling but why not just make them the same and and both have the higher fin count?

so just to be clear. a CPU1 heatsink will work in place of the CPU2 heatsink on CPU2?

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
My statement should of said CPU 2 not 1, yes CPU 2 heatsink has less fins for airflow purposes. Yes you should be able use them in either provided you aren't running x5x90's

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

madLyfe

Jul 18, 2017
My statement should of said CPU 2 not 1, yes CPU 2 heatsink has less fins for airflow purposes. Yes you should be able use them in either provided you aren't running x5x90's

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
im not very familiar with other hp blades, but do you know if other blades with g34 sockets have heatsinks that are interchangeable across said boards?

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
I dont know if they would be the same, that heatsink i posted is only used in the g6 and g7 blades. Its possible that other generations of servers with g34 sockets might fit, but I would not count on it in blades.

Reactions: madLyfe