ArcGIS for Server cache farm

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I've been playing around with building a caching cluster at work for our big customers, the ones who's GIS data takes well over a week to cache (one takes 65+ hours just for two levels). This is the start of the build log for the cluster I've speced out. I chose NAS4Free instead of FreeNAS or OmniOS + napp-it due to the fact that I have the most experience with it.
Storage Server
Caching Servers (3 or 4)
Netgear 12-port ProSafe 10Gbe Switch XS712T
Coboc 7' CAT7 cables, orange because it isn't used in our server room yet

Current testing shows a 76% speed improvement going from a single server to four servers in my VM environment, and I expect it to be even larger with physical machines (storage for the VMs is a Lenovo Haswell i5 desktop w/ 8GB RAM, single 1Gbe NIC & 2 320GB Hitachi SATA drives in RAID 1 on Ubuntu).

I expect to be able to start ordering parts by the end of the month at the latest and will definitely enjoy posting build pictures.

Last edited:

spazoid

Apr 26, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have to ask. Why the VelociRaptors? The 600 GB drives are over 3 years old, and slower in most regards than new 2-4 TB drives. I'm sure you've thought about it, I'm just curious.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
The random access on them is slightly better than a 7200 RPM drive, and since we will be reading from and writing to them at the same time.....Plus the smaller size means IT won't take part of it over for a VM datastore ;) They do also have a better warranty.

Last edited:

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Minor specification update, going to OmniOS + napp-it for the OS and updated the drives accordingly.

BackWoodsTech

Oct 23, 2013
Hey there. Not trying to hijack your thread, but I do quite a bit with AGS myself...usage and implementation, not so much on architecting and large deployments like what it sounds you're up to.

Curious about what your caching cycles are and if your just recaching everything in bulk or if there's some change detection going on? Sounds like fun. I'm trying to design an interactive tile creation download tool for our ArcPad users (we just acquired over 30 licenses and tile caching is going to be key to this roll out). Again, sorry to hijack.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
We actually do both full recaching & AOI recaching. Unfortunately the AOI stuff is super buggy, hence the big deployment. It will be used for full recaches/initial caches.

Last edited:

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Just out of curiosity, is your only reason for not going SSD array price? Or does the workload just not benefit from that style of storage i.e. need large storage size over speed?

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Just out of curiosity, is your only reason for not going SSD array price? Or does the workload just not benefit from that style of storage i.e. need large storage size over speed?
Mostly price. No SSDs to test caching using them. I think the would probably be great to store the base GIS data on, but I'm not going to build two arrays so I can have the GIS on SSDs and the cache on spinning disks. Plus some of our customers have a final cache size of over 1TB and the aerial imagery can be close to that too.