arc-1880ix-12 Installing drivers hangs system?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bill Luttmer

Aug 19, 2019
Hi all,

my card seemed to be working just fine, but then i go and redo the os and now I cant even install drivers or upgrade firmware for the card.

does anyone have ideas of what i can try?

arc-1880ix-12 (1.52FW)
windows 10 x64 or Ubuntu 20.04

Thank you.
Bill

psc

Jun 30, 2019
Does it hook into the BIOS OK at boot time? Any difference with\without drives attached? Is there anything in the card logs if you go in through the OOB webserver?

Bill Luttmer

Aug 19, 2019
unfortunately I had redone my os thinking all would be good, so I have a fresh install and can't get to that part.

I had disabled the bios on the card so that doesnt work either. I had tried to reflash the card too but it freezes when flashing firmware.

psc

Jun 30, 2019
Doesn't the out-of-band admin UI work regardless? I'm sure I've got into mine before the motherboard has actually finish initialising. If it was freezing when trying to update firmware as well that doesn't sound great. I'd really try to find a way to get into the web UI and look at the card logs.

Bill Luttmer

Aug 19, 2019
Doesn't the out-of-band admin UI work regardless? I'm sure I've got into mine before the motherboard has actually finish initializing. If it was freezing when trying to update firmware as well that doesn't sound great. I'd really try to find a way to get into the web UI and look at the card logs.
I will see what I can do, one issue is Windows will not boot with the card in the system, its really messed up. I can get Ubuntu to boot so I might try that.
Not sure if this helps but when system boots I hear two beeps from the card, usually I hear 3

What is the out-of-band admin UI? I am still pretty new using this card, I have only used Dell perc and 3ware.

I am able to get ubuntu to boot, but installing drivers is a pain.

And I do appreciate any help you can give,

thank you

Last edited:

psc

Jun 30, 2019
On the bracket, there will be a square connector for the external lanes and an ethernet connector (plus possibly another, 'console' port). Conect the ethernet port into your switch and it'll pick up an IP via DHCP. Find out what address its got however you'd normally do that (router interface, DHCP server logs, guesswork...) and then hit that IP from any other computer. You don't even need an operating system on the computer it's plugged into; the card runs its own web server that's visible through that ethernet port, completely independent of the host machine.

If you've not already, head over to the areca site and grab the manual, and have a quick browse through the docs for the out-of-band management interface.

Bill Luttmer

Aug 19, 2019
On the bracket, there will be a square connector for the external lanes and an ethernet connector (plus possibly another, 'console' port). Conect the ethernet port into your switch and it'll pick up an IP via DHCP. Find out what address its got however you'd normally do that (router interface, DHCP server logs, guesswork...) and then hit that IP from any other computer. You don't even need an operating system on the computer it's plugged into; the card runs its own web server that's visible through that ethernet port, completely independent of the host machine.

If you've not already, head over to the areca site and grab the manual, and have a quick browse through the docs for the out-of-band management interface.
Thank you I will try that, and I have been reading the manual, just so much to go through.