Aquantia 4/5/8 port 10Gb switch, when?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
OP, just wanted to make sure the Netgear XS505M and XS508M were on your radar.

They are unmanaged, but they will achieve what you're after. I know they don't quite hit the mark but maybe you can grab one discounted, or tweak your use case to fit the smaller one.

I actually just grabbed the 8 port Buffalo unit from Amazon Warehouse for $385 so will be testing that out.

Hey Brent

Great spot, that is only $385 US (although they're charging over $550 to $600 US here for it in Australia)
It's getting close I suppose. Although the buffalo is only $115 more for 4 more ports.

Much closer, if someone would list this darn thing for $299 USD, wonderful.

Almost there.
Thanks for reply!

brentsg

Aug 22, 2017
I received my switch from Amazon Marketplace. It was purchased as an open box unit, so technically marked as used for $385.

I'm pleased to say that the box had no seal (just brown box), and all the internal contents were obviously sealed in their original bags.. so it must have been a return that was never used. Looking forward to getting it into service.

Reactions: diskdiddler

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
I'm happy for standard Windows tests over SMB to be honest. Not that it will show the full capability of the switch but it's nice and real world

brentsg

Aug 22, 2017
I can't get anywhere near max, but it's the same with my old switch.

I have an Intel X550-T2 in my desktop and I just added an AQN-107 to my old 2010 Mac Pro. I don't know if the either side is getting full bandwidth to the card, honestly. I'll have to investigate.

At this time I'm getting a bit over 3300Mb/s between the 2 devices using iperf.

I also have a Cat5e cable to the Mac until some new cables arrive, but I doubt that matters for a short run.

I will say that the Buffalo switch is not quiet enough for desktop use.

Sigh... Only ports 1-4 work, so someone tested this with their own power supply and sent it back without opening anything. Naturally Buffalo isn't likely to warranty this, and Amazon just wants to refund. Hopefully I'll get lucky with Buffalo, b/c they'll get it back one way or another anyways.

The switch indicates that devices are plugged into 5-8 but I can't get it to pass traffic for more than a few seconds regardless of device/cable used.

Last edited:

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
That's a reasonable speed but not ideal. I'd like to go up to 200MB/s at least, so honestly it's enough.

Be interesting to diagnose why even iperf is only 3300 though.

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
stumbled onto the netgear GS110MX during "prime day". $199.69 with 8x1G 2x10G for the unmanaged version.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
Recently came to the realisation that if I go 10GB Copper, my network card options are limited on my FreeNAS box (for FreeBSD support)

brentsg

Aug 22, 2017
I wound up installing iperf3 on my NAS via Docker.. got upwards of around 7500Mb/s that way without tinkering with jumbo frames.

My single foray into jumbo frames broke my VNC connection to my Mac, so I didn't go down that road again.

Unfortunately Buffalo utilized their right and denied warranty service. Clearly this was a DOA switch and someone just returned it to Amazon instead of messing with the manufacturer. Back to Amazon it goes. Hopefully it winds up back at Buffalo anyways.

I never understood the no warranty on open box returns thing.. That just encourages more product back to the manufacturer, broken or not.

Wader

Dec 16, 2015
Not exactly what you are looking for, but
ASUS XG-U2008 Unmanaged 2-Port 10G and 8-Port Gigabit Switch
$129.99 at Amazon

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
A bit telling how expensive these switch chips must still be when all they can accomplish are two ports. The Netgear GS810EMX (gaming focused) also has two 10GbE switch ports and the rest filled with regular old gigabit. Suggested to be used as uplink to faster than gigabit internet connection or to link a NAS and just one desktop together in the same network segment. This looks more like gauging interest at this point rather than selling a proper product. If you are just linking a NAS and a gaming PC you don't even need a switch. And anyone with faster than gigabit internet connection must surely have no issue buying existing pro series switches. Who are they kidding?

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
1 Gbps is 19 years old now, very cheap, very low power and for 99% of home users "enough". For the remaining 1% (freaks, prosumers, people with much data collected) it is tough to justify a 10 Gbps product introduction - so far. Previously 10 Gbps chips were also running really hot, these days not so much. Maybe 3-5 watts per port. When you pack 8 such ports into a desktop switching device you suddenly need to cool 40 watts worst case, which necessitates a fan. I am one of the 1% and would not tolerate fan noise in a PC or a network switch. Nevermind the need for Cat 6A+ cabling which also takes a bite from the remaining 1% potential buyers. That is why adoption of 10 Gbps is slow. On the professional end of things 10 Gbps ethernet is also rare and will remain so. SFP+ optical is ubiquitous, lower latency and lower power, thus preferred. In the data center anything else but SFP28 or QSFP28 is a curiosity, unless something is a 100/1000 ethernet management port from a PDU or from IPMI.