Aquanita based 10G-BaseT switches coming

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CJRoss

May 31, 2017
I wonder how they perform compared to existing solutions. I may go with these instead of Intel and Netgear.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Uh... No name networking has been a good idea since...

Netgear owns this market.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Well it's not a complete no name OEM and I also don't see why some bigger names won't also use the chip. But 2018 ?? Long wait

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Very interesting picture. If that's the board that gets released, people are going to love its hackability. Full JTAG on both switch chips and the gate array, a real Cisco-compatible RS-232 port that's "all there" except for the external connector (the ADM3202 level converter and the series resistors are populated on the board). MachXO2 gate array as the system controller. It will be interesting to see what the real CPU is (the picture shows some random Realtek part with an '06 date code and visible sticky tape residue at the lower left of the CPU). If we can believe the picture of the memory, NT5CC256M16EP-EK is a 512MB part (internally 256M x 16). 6 PWM-controlled fan connectors, etc. I don't see any flash, so it is either on the underside of the board or included in whatever the real CPU is.

Aquantia claims Cisco, Intel, Xilinx and others as investors and has been around for 12+ years, so they're probably not some fly-by-night.

Reactions: Evan

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@Terry Kennedy i saw that picture and though oh nice :)
But certainly did not spend as much time and though it research into he contents of the board as you did.
I would just be happy to get one !

So torn between the copper vs fiber choice of my next server purchases. Love SFP+ but don't see many lower end low power switches that support and copper will just end up more common I suspect for the future at the low end (high end 100G fiber switch for sure)