APC Netshelter Rack pain - APC & Supermicro rails?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Im having some issues with a clean fit of hardware in a APC Netshelter 12U.
Racks can't be this much of a PITA so I suspect something is off in my configuration but not sure what.
Rack configured a such, top to bottom

1U: Cisco SG500x
1U Supermicro/Netgate pfSense router
4U Supermicro SC846 (24x3.5")
2U Supermicro SC216 (24*2.5")
2U APC SMX1500RM2U UPS
2U APC SMX48RMBP2U additional UPS battery

The Cisco and Netgate units screw directly into the square rack holes. Not a lot to go wrong here.
The Supermicro chassis are on Supermicro MCP-290-00058-0N short rails sets which appear high quality.
The APC UPS units are both mounted on APC SRAILKIT S Type Universal Rail Kit and don't appear particularly well thought out - or I misunderstand how to use them properly.

The supermicro rails appear high quality and operate fine until I fit the APC battery units back fully. The front mounts cause the UPS chassis to move up a few mm causing some case rubbing which means the chassis need jiggling/forcing back into place.

My gut instinct is the APC rails basically suck but perhaps I have the wrong ones for my UPS chassis?

any guidance/advice appreciated, some pics to try and illustrate the issues attached.

Attachments

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Nope, that's pretty much how they work. make sure your lined up and you toss some cage nuts behind the 4 mount holes to secure the unit. Once it's mounted, it really doesn't get moved.

Reactions: sth

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
My gut instinct is the APC rails basically suck but perhaps I have the wrong ones for my UPS chassis?

any guidance/advice appreciated, some pics to try and illustrate the issues attached.
Most APC UPS rails I've seen are basically just some L-shaped brackets to support the UPS. There are some dished washers in the APC hardware package that are used to center the screw in the square hole - the cage nuts have enough "slop" that without the funky washers, the UPS will shift in the rack.

I absolutely refuse to use square-hole racks. They're the second-dumbest thing I've seen in racks*. Until the thickness of the vertical rack rails and the size/thread of the screws for the cage nuts gets standardized, you can run into a lot of semi-compatible and downright incompatible hardware. One of the colo facilities I'm in has a "hardware box" for people who need random rack hardware to use. It is a 5-gallon bucket with a mishmash of every possible piece of square-hold hardware. :eek:

* The dumbest thing I've seen was at a CLEC in the mid-90's. Their colo cabinets had thick vertical aluminum rails with holes that weren't threaded - you had to bring a 12-24 tap and thread the holes you wanted to use in your rack. Of course, they had other bone-headed moves, like the colo access cards working on their office, the DMS switch room, and the battery room by accident.