APC NetShelter CX 24U on home power outlet?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
Last edited:

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
The link to the UPS goes to a page for a PDU, power distribution board, which is not a ups

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
And of course you will also want a 30A 240v UPS between the wall outlet (or extension cord) and the PDU. If budget is a concern you could consider used ones without batteries and sourcing replacement batteries locally.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
And of course you will also want a 30A 240v UPS between the wall outlet (or extension cord) and the PDU. If budget is a concern you could consider used ones without batteries and sourcing replacement batteries locally.
Yeah will look into that, possibly this

OR

Oarman

Feb 28, 2021
Yes exactly. The vast majority of devices that support US 208V, US 240V, and IEC 230V support all three, because they're close enough that from an engineering perspective it's not that hard to do, and then you can sell the same device worldwide.
The big exceptions to be careful with here (that doesn't apply to the OP, yet) are devices with undervoltage / overvoltage protection like UPS and ATS/STS. Generally they are set up for one 'nominal voltage' and can only be configured a few percent from that number.

You also want to be a little mindful as US 208/230VAC assumes two hot lines that need to be fused / switched while a regular Euro plug only has one.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
Another find for others who are in need of cooling server rooms/closets without cutting through walls

couple more finds and will finalize decision

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
The big exceptions to be careful with here (that doesn't apply to the OP, yet) are devices with undervoltage / overvoltage protection like UPS and ATS/STS. Generally they are set up for one 'nominal voltage' and can only be configured a few percent from that number.

You also want to be a little mindful as US 208/230VAC assumes two hot lines that need to be fused / switched while a regular Euro plug only has one.
Yes, good point on the UPSes -- a device that's measuring and potentially generating a voltage certainly needs to know what voltage it's supposed to use. I was referring more to end use devices, like server PSUs, which often don't care.

As for switching the hot wires, you're right that in theory the US needs to switch two wires, with our two +120/-120 hot wires, whereas in Europe you'd only need to switch the 230V hot and could leave the 0V neutral unswitched. However, in practice, in Europe you have to switch both anyway, because the official plugs of several European countries are non-polarized, so you don't know which wire is hot and which is neutral, and so you have to treat them both as potentially hot. The only exception as far as I know would be for devices that are not sold internationally, but only within one jurisdiction which does have properly polarized plugs, like the UK.

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
That looks like a good solution overall. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the gaps around the door itself will probably not be well sealed, and so if the pressure inside and outside the closet is not balanced, air will travel through those gaps as well. This can actually be useful if you set the intake fan to a bit higher speed than the exhaust, because then all the air in the closet will be coming through the filter in the intake fan, and the positive pressure will keep any dust from leaking in through the cracks. Depending on the airflow you need, you might be able to get away with just an intake, and vent passively.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
That looks like a good solution overall. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the gaps around the door itself will probably not be well sealed, and so if the pressure inside and outside the closet is not balanced, air will travel through those gaps as well. This can actually be useful if you set the intake fan to a bit higher speed than the exhaust, because then all the air in the closet will be coming through the filter in the intake fan, and the positive pressure will keep any dust from leaking in through the cracks. Depending on the airflow you need, you might be able to get away with just an intake, and vent passively.
Yeah you are right. Will have to adjust the different speeds to see what works best

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
Anyone here know of a fan that looks like this

1646603888276.png

but that is engineered to be quiet at very high cfm?
I have checked if noctua makes something like this, but they don't
So wanted to know if there is some brand am no aware of

NateS

Apr 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA, US
Anyone here know of a fan that looks like this

View attachment 21947

but that is engineered to be quiet at very high cfm?
I have checked if noctua makes something like this, but they don't
So wanted to know if there is some brand am no aware of

How high CFM, and how quiet?

The closest thing I can think of is something like this, which I have in my attic. It's quiet enough that I can't hear it from inside anyway.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
Last edited: