apc kvm switch and cables

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
I'm pondering buying a used apc kvm switch (ap5202) and am trying to understand what cables I can buy for it. It looks like it has a single vga port on the back and from what I can tell there is a breakout cable that one gets that splits it into vga / usb or vga/ps2. Is this a standard (i.e. E119932) and that any cable that corresponds to that standard should work, or does APC do their own thing?

the reason I ask is because the cables under what I can see as the APC part number seem very expensive.

Last edited:

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
AP5257 is the breakout cable for USB/VGA
Good luck on finding it under $50
As for the KVM, this is just a KVM, not IP-KVM - why would you want it?

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
not sure I really need ip kvm with things like idrac/ilo built in. It was more if its cheap ($50-$100). It would probably provide me enough value (+ have room in the rack) where it would be worth in on the handful of times a year I'd want to use it vs using idrac/ilo. And those provide value that a normal kvm can't either (notably media, but also power control). But as you note, if the cables are more than I'd be paying for the KVM/KMM together, it makes it a harder sell. Hence why I was wondering.

I also was looking at an 5602 from apc, those seems to use cat5 server modules and are much more affordable. Only thing I can guess is that they were much much more common and hence the secondary market is somewhat flooded with them.

with all that said, I'm willing to be convinced that I really don't need it and my money is better spent elsewhere and just live with idrac/ilo