Apache drops below 50 percent web server market share, nginx claims over 33 percent

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Wow interesting!

I need to give nginx another look, apache is just there and easy... lol

Reactions: open

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
In my mind apache suffered from the same kind of stumbled transition as python. Back in the pre-2.0 days it seemed like apache had a mindshare that it never really recovered. Moving to 2.0 caused all sorts of headaches, so a lot of people stayed on 1.3 for a long time, others looked at alternatives, and the project just seemed to become less focused. HTTP/2 is the latest example: once upon a time apache would have been pushing the envelope for that sort of feature, now it's just been playing catch up. Put another way, it's a project that's reached the point of valuing stability more than innovation, so people looking for innovation have just gone elsewhere.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
I use Nginx and Apache a lot. The biggest difference between those two are the configuration format, performance wise they are both pretty much equal, in almost every case you will run out of network bandwidth before one of them gets cpu bound.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Do most people run nginx with php or do they run nginx as a proxy to instances of apache/php?

I am seriously considering putting nginx as a front end for all my piffly little web sites and run them on as many VMs as makes sense on as many hosts as makes sense behind nginx as a proxy.

I guess I don't know enough about nginx to know whether it makes sense to run something like wordpress directly under nginx or whether it is better to use nginx as the proxy so you can change the underling configuration without anyone knowing, which is how I was thinking of using it.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Do most people run nginx with php or do they run nginx as a proxy to instances of apache/php?

I am seriously considering putting nginx as a front end for all my piffly little web sites and run them on as many VMs as makes sense on as many hosts as makes sense behind nginx as a proxy.

I guess I don't know enough about nginx to know whether it makes sense to run something like wordpress directly under nginx or whether it is better to use nginx as the proxy so you can change the underling configuration without anyone knowing, which is how I was thinking of using it.
It can do both. Depending on scaling, you could run nginx with carp/haproxy in front and then direct certain "static" content to nginx boxes in the backend and then the rest to the apache/tomcat installs.