AOC-STGN-I2S (x520) - dual sfp+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BShoppy

Apr 16, 2021
Of course this pops up almost immediately after I've had an offer accepted and paid $25 for a single port ConnectX-3

But since I really only need the one port, I suppose I got the best thing for me.

Reactions: Samir

NachoCDN

Apr 18, 2016
join the club.. also purchased 2 x single port ConnectX-3.. and now i'm thinking it's just money right? :p

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
Anybody got a source for cheap low profile brackets for these cards? Everything I can find is so expensive that it's almost better to pay $65 for a card that already has a low profile bracket.

mimino

Nov 2, 2018
@Cruzader Thanks for the deal. Where in Europe are you? I'm getting quoted $19.64 shipping + $18.57 import duty for shipping to Belgium :(

BShoppy

Apr 16, 2021
It's worth noting that the nmlx4_en driver won't be in ESXi 8.0, so if you're running ESXi, a ConnectX-3 is probably not what you should be buying right now.

Also, no idea if it's even possible to sideload the nmlx4_en drivers from ESXi 7.0 in ESXi 8.0.

Considering that ESXi 7.0 is supported until end of Q1 2025, I don't think most homelab users should be too worried. We know we are buying generations old hardware.

Reactions: mach3.2 and Samir

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
@Cruzader Thanks for the deal. Where in Europe are you? I'm getting quoted $19.64 shipping + $18.57 import duty for shipping to Belgium :(
i paid 25$ for 2 to Norway, for being a small shipment from a US broker that is decent.
Especialy for multiple it tends to jump massivly.

i got 2 of these per host, previus pairs have been around 110+50 so 80+25 is a decent drop.

It's worth noting that the nmlx4_en driver won't be in ESXi 8.0, so if you're running ESXi, a ConnectX-3 is probably not what you should be buying right now.

Also, no idea if it's even possible to sideload the nmlx4_en drivers from ESXi 7.0 in ESXi 8.0.

Some of connectx3 is already missing SR-IOV in 7.0, i had 311A cards in one host that i replaced due to this.
So they are a bit meh already imo

Last edited:

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
I find weird that so many homelabbers use the proprietary ESXi when KVM/Qemu is so friggin good. My guess this is a GUI thing preference?
Cant say ive ever seen GUI mentioned as a part of picking hypervisor tbh

For most it tends to just be about marketshare.
Vmware is the most mentioned/wanted hypervisor in job listings and still most likely one to encounter in a enterprise setting.
+ somewhat like cisco in networking their certs hold value even if they are on a diffrent vendor.