AOC-SLG3-2M2 to Bifurcate or not Bifurcate on X9DRi-LN4F+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kagurazakakotori

Mar 5, 2017
Has anyone tried bifurcation on the latest “3.4” for X9DR3-F/X9DRi-F dated 6/30/2020?
I am now using the 3.4 bios with nvme boot modded, the bifurcation works well. However, sometimes only 2 devices on my x16 to 4x M.2 adapter is detected, this can be solved easily by performing a power cycle.

bbqdt

Sep 15, 2019
Cool, but this is a perfect example of why you can't trust companies release notes ;-). They stick changes in that they don't mention.

haxxa

Nov 2, 2020
Anyone tested the X9SRi-F model with Bifurcation, it hasn't received a BIOS upgrade to 3.4 and I suppose it would have issues similar to X9DRi on 3.3?

Mizerka

Aug 29, 2020
Anyone tested the X9SRi-F model with Bifurcation, it hasn't received a BIOS upgrade to 3.4 and I suppose it would have issues similar to X9DRi on 3.3?
did you check for new bios on SM page? the new ones have since been added to the downloads last I checked. If it's similar issue then you can probably chase support for it.

cferra

Jun 27, 2016
Can’t speak for that board but - echoing mizerka - the fixed bios for the Dri-f has been officially released!
Also I was able to test it with an asus quad nvme card and it works perfectly!

haxxa

Nov 2, 2020
did you check for new bios on SM page? the new ones have since been added to the downloads last I checked. If it's similar issue then you can probably chase support for it.
Looking on the product page and support page the newest BIOS is 3.3 :

1604397466203.png

Are you suggesting I contact SM via email support?, I thought as the MB is EOL I would just be told no support is available.

EDIT: It is supported in the 3.3 BIOS.

Last edited:

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Gonna add this before I unwatch this thread, the 3.4 official bios from SM fixed the bifurcation problem for me on X9DRI-F.

John M.

Mar 7, 2016
I can also confirm that nvme drives are recognized in the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card V2. However I don't know if they work simultaneous as I only have one drive as of yet. I'm on 3.4.

I just put the one drive in slots 1-4 and it got recognized every time on boot in windows.

Haven't figured out if I'm able to boot from it yet. UEFI is still kind of a mystery to me.

Last edited:

John M.

Mar 7, 2016
I can also confirm that nvme drives are recognized in the ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card V2. However I don't know if they work simultaneous as I only have one drive as of yet. I'm on 3.4.

I just put the one drive in slots 1-4 and it got recognized every time on boot in windows.

Haven't figured out if I'm able to boot from it yet. UEFI is still kind of a mystery to me.
Just to update my previous post, I'm not able to get more then one SSD running. All slots function but not at the same time, which kind of defeats the purpose of this specific card. I'll be getting the AOC-SLG3-2M2 to have two slots available.

mason736

Mar 17, 2013
Hey guys. I've got an unraid server, using the X9DRi-LN4+ motherboard, currently BIOS 3.2. Now that unraid released an update allowing multiple cache pools to be created, I was thinking of creating another cache pool for my VMs, and one for my Radarr/Sonarr downloads, using NVME drives. If i'm not booting off the drives, do I still need to upgrade the BIOS to get the bifurcation to work, and have multiple NVMe drives available on the PCIE card?

kagurazakakotori

Mar 5, 2017
Hey guys. I've got an unraid server, using the X9DRi-LN4+ motherboard, currently BIOS 3.2. Now that unraid released an update allowing multiple cache pools to be created, I was thinking of creating another cache pool for my VMs, and one for my Radarr/Sonarr downloads, using NVME drives. If i'm not booting off the drives, do I still need to upgrade the BIOS to get the bifurcation to work, and have multiple NVMe drives available on the PCIE card?
I only know that X9DR3-LN4F+ BIOS 3.3 supports pcie bifurcation, you can try 3.2 yourself. Just see if bifurcation shows up in BIOS and whether all nvme drives show up in your os. Even though, a BIOS update is still recommended. Booting from nvme requires some modification, all versions of stock BIOS doesn't support this.

cferra

Jun 27, 2016
Bifurcation and bootable uefi drivers are 2 different things. Previously - the bios had the option for bifurcation listed in the menu but the functionality was broken so one drive only showed regardless of the settings.

the settings only functioned for me in that beta and the latest 3.3 bios.

if I were to guess, I’d say it would be the same thing for you and an update would be required.

the easiest way is to use the IPMI interface and update from there, you can’t buy a key anymore for that series board anymore I don’t think, but the algorithm for unlocking it is easily searchable.

mason736

Mar 17, 2013
Thanks guys. I don't need to boot, just enable bifurcation to have 2 NVMe drives show up on the card, to enable them in the unraid cache pool. Unraid boots off a USB stick.

gkovacs

Jun 17, 2021
I can confirm bifurcation working on the X9DRi-LN4F+ with two Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 cards and four SSDs. You have to download the latest BIOS version 3.4 for that though, and carefully check which slots you are populating, and set X4X4 in the BIOS accordingly.

bandit8623

May 25, 2021
from experience with this card and dell. need to use 4x4x4x4 bifurcation setting. as 8x8x or default only shows 1 nvme.