Anyway to get full NVMe bandwidth over these ports?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I run my 2.5" Optane on onboard m2.

I have 3 dozen or so of the NVME adapters Intel sells them direct, I'll gldadly sell one.

The one you're looking at may just be a SAS3 one :)

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I run my 2.5" Optane on onboard m2.

I have 3 dozen or so of the NVME adapters Intel sells them direct, I'll gldadly sell one.
I have SuperMicro PCIe to dual M.2 adapters. It was more about trying to free up PCIe ports if these onboard "NVMe" ports could actually be run at full speed.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have SuperMicro PCIe to dual M.2 adapters. It was more about trying to free up PCIe ports if these onboard "NVMe" ports could actually be run at full speed.
You can't use a SAS3 cable for NVME so it has nothing to do with being able to "run them at full speed" the cable is either for NVME and will run them at the speed your motherboard allows for that slot to run at, or it won't work at all and is for SAS3 drives only.

As I mentioned Intel sells adapters, they're very affordable vs. 1+ year ago when they were stupid expensive.

The M.2 adapter to U2 will be motherboard specific, the actual cable for the 2.5" NVME intel brand or other will work.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
You can't use a SAS3 cable for NVME so it has nothing to do with being able to "run them at full speed" the cable is either for NVME and will run them at the speed your motherboard allows for that slot to run at, or it won't work at all and is for SAS3 drives only.

As I mentioned Intel sells adapters, they're very affordable vs. 1+ year ago when they were stupid expensive.

The M.2 adapter to U2 will be motherboard specific, the actual cable for the 2.5" NVME intel brand or other will work.
Which adapter are you referring to?

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Even though it's called mini-SAS HD, many cables for NVME drives have an SFF-8643 connector and just because it's commonly associated with SAS3 doesn't mean the cable is limited to SAS3 speeds.

I haven't used that exact cable linked in the OP, but one that is effectively the same and had no problems getting expected speeds.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Ah yes, I currently use those. I thought you were referring to some kind of non-M.2 adapters. I'm trying to not use M.2 as I want to use the on-board ports on this board earmarked for NVMe.

H11SSL-NC | Motherboards | Super Micro Computer, Inc.

Even though it's called mini-SAS HD, many cables for NVME drives have an SFF-8643 connector and just because it's commonly associated with SAS3 doesn't mean the cable is limited to SAS3 speeds.

I haven't used that exact cable linked in the OP, but one that is effectively the same and had no problems getting expected speeds.
That's what I'm trying to find. I just don't want to drop the money for two new cables to find out they are limited to 12Gbps.