Anything newer than Camtasia 8 for screen recording in Windows?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have been using Camtasia 6.x for a long time and was considering getting Camtasia 8. There are some serious limitations to Camtasia 6.x e.g. no 1080i presets, trying to edit 1080 video causes crashes and etc. The somewhat obvious choice is to get Camtasia 8, export screen capture videos into Adobe.

I was price shopping at Amazon just to see the difference in pricing and the reviews were scary. I do not put much faith in Amazon reviews but it does not sound that much better.

Are there others people are using and would recommend instead?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I don't have any issues with it but I only do quick screen recording and exports.

(Using ver8 since 2014 it looks like according to my update/order history)

Edit; Hard to believe they haven't come out with another major version in such a long time :/

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
my e-mail record showed a transaction <150$ for the ver8, I assume it was an upgrade I was able to do... maybe something to look into, but even 150 is hard to swallow if a new version is coming out soon :/

I have some feelers out i'll let you nkow what others are using.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I will check that out. I know Windows 10 has steps recorder but that is not a video. There is a new video game recording feature but I think that only works in-game. OBS will get a try. Any tip on which version? MP or the older one?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Patrick I think the reason for Camtasia not being updated, is that SnagIT does the same stuff now. (I use it to capture videos/screenshots) on my PC and works quite well. Don't know if it would work with Adobe, but you can do a lot with SnagIT's video editor too.

Snagit: The Ultimate Screen Capture Tool for Mac and Windows
That is really interesting. I just looked at the output formats and I did not see MP4 or AVI listed. Is video output SWF or SNAG only? File Formats Overview

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

That's what i see when i open. There's only a MP4 option. @Patrick
Well - Snagit seems to work, but has significantly less stability than running the full suite of Office on Windows ME. It crashes every single session post-recording. Glad I spent $50 with them not $300.