Anyone Using Supermicro 5x 60mm Fan Wall in 2U Chassis (SC216)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

seizedengine

Aug 22, 2016
Does anyone use a Supermicro MCP-320-82603-0N fan wall (5x 60mm fans instead of 3x 80mm) in a 2U case like an SC216? I cant find any information on noise levels of these fans or if they can be swapped for 60mm Noctuas (cant find any detailed pictures). I am looking at this as an option for quieting down an SC216 NAS that will be running SSDs and multiple PCI-E cards.

Supermicro MCP-320-82603-0N Accessories

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Normally larger fan diameter is quieter than its smaller bretheren. Replacing the 3x 80MM fan to a quieter model might be a better options.

seizedengine

Aug 22, 2016
Normally larger fan diameter is quieter than its smaller bretheren. Replacing the 3x 80MM fan to a quieter model might be a better options.
Noctuas dont fit the Supermicro carriers. I am hoping the 5x 60mm setup uses different carriers that might be more Noctua friendly.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
If you don't care about aesthetics, then you can fit any 80mm fan in the supermicro carriers. You just have to cut out the notch in the fan housing. I don't have pics with me but search the forum for quieting a supermicro 846 (or 847) chassis. There is a long thread where someone had given very detailed information with pictures.

I have done it with all my 216 and 826 chassis. With a compute only node where I only have a couple of ssds, I've run it with no fans in the mid plane and active coolers for the CPU. It was by accident when I was replacing the fans in a bunch of chassis and forgot to put them back in one. But there was no issue and I left it as is.

I'm sure the outcome would have been different in a different node but this one just had 2 S3500 and a single port connectx2 aic.

TLDR You will have to experiment to find out what works for you or post the exact config so that someone with a similar setup can comment. There is no one solution.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I am looking at this as an option for quieting down an SC216 NAS that will be running SSDs and multiple PCI-E cards
What pcie cards? Hba/raid controllers or something else?

For a test I have replaced the supermicro fan in a chassis with 80mm papst fans. The system was very quiet but you could hear the alarm noise from the raid controller in every room of the house ._.

Reactions: pgh5278

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I have a couple of 60mm fan walls. As mentioned they do not work with Noctua fans without cutting the tabs off just like the 80mm carriers. I found the 60mm Noctuas to not cool sufficiently for me, but I have an SC826 full of drives. If your AICs run hot and don't have active cooling you might have problems.

Reactions: seizedengine

seizedengine

Aug 22, 2016
What pcie cards? Hba/raid controllers or something else?

For a test I have replaced the supermicro fan in a chassis with 80mm papst fans. The system was very quiet but you could hear the alarm noise from the raid controller in every room of the house ._.
Two to three LSI 9308s, a 10Gb Broadcom and hopefully some PCI-e SSD later so could be borderline... But right now just trying to reduce the noise somewhat.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I'd look at getting some quieter 80mm and snipping off the tabs in the carrier that stop them from fitting. You'll have to do the same thing with the 60mm carriers anyways and the 60mm noctuas just don't move enough air to cool that many pci-e cards well.

seizedengine

Aug 22, 2016
I have a couple of 60mm fan walls. As mentioned they do not work with Noctua fans without cutting the tabs off just like the 80mm carriers. I found the 60mm Noctuas to not cool sufficiently for me, but I have an SC826 full of drives. If your AICs run hot and don't have active cooling you might have problems.
Bummer but thank you, that is what I was looking for!