Anyone tried the Emulex OneConnect 14000 series?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Hey all,

Does anyone have experience with these Emulex OneConnect cards? I've got a couple of stubborn machines that have some sort of BIOS incompatibility with Mellanox NICs and I'd really like 40Gb available. These, maybe, look like the next best option. I've already had success booting other Broadcom NICs so I'm hopeful these will work out.

Anyone use these for anything? Any experience with multi-vendor RDMA and RoCE interoperability using them? Any issues with transceiver vendor locks? Any reason I shouldn't go for it and buy two?

danke!

edit: Also, for the life of me I can't find data on the difference between the OCE14401-NX and OCE14401-UX, they appear to be interchangeable.

Last edited:

NaCl

Dec 15, 2018
Apologies for the exhumation here, but this very thing has come up for me as well. I still can't find out much about them, esp NX vs UX other than I typically see the NX for $1K USD _less_. This leads me to believe it may be hobbled in some way. I am particularly wanting to use these for iscsi initiators. As such I need to know if BIOS card setup for that is supported. I know the UX variant is/does but, as mentioned, and given Lenovo 'paywalls' iscsi support it's not w/out precedent.

Anyway, did you ever get any answers (presumably elsewhere)?

Thanks!

Necrotyr

Jun 25, 2017
Denmark
The N variant cards are NICs and the U variant cards are CNAs (meaning hardware offloading of FCoE and iSCSI).

I've no experience with Lenovo cards, but my Dell rNDC cards work fine with esxi.

One thing to note is that you can't use RDMA and CNA at the same time, as you have to enable NPAR to use RDMA/CNA and both use the same VF.

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

NaCl

Dec 15, 2018
The N variant cards are NICs and the U variant cards are CNAs (meaning hardware offloading of FCoE and iSCSI).

I've no experience with Lenovo cards, but my Dell rNDC cards work fine with esxi.

One thing to note is that you can't use RDMA and CNA at the same time, as you have to enable NPAR to use RDMA/CNA and both use the same VF.
Do you have a model for a standard pci-e variant of the Dell card, (non mez)? And associated transceiver?

I'm not married to any specific card per se. I just need something that allows for iscsi initiator config because it seems MS have elected to not have initiator support w/in Win11 Pro. Used to be one could grab discreet driver's (Win 10) off of MS' site, but they appear to be removed.

So...need a card w/iscsi offload + Win11 driver's to mitigate that + boot support.

Thanks a lot!

Necrotyr

Jun 25, 2017
Denmark
If have the rNDC cards (I guess you could call th mezzanine), but you'd be looking for the U variants.

NaCl

Dec 15, 2018
I picked up a couple Emulex OCE14102-UX-D and some Dell 10G fiber transceivers. I guess it was _only_ a wasted $100ish. <sigh>

I don't understand why this is such a difficult thing. I just want a verified model card that does duty as a hardware iscsi initiator. Even the seller had nf clue. :/

Of all tech forums _this_ was my obvious "no brainer" wrt this sort of question being answered w/much alacrity.

Thanks for trying in any event.

Last edited: