Anyone tried STEC Drives?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

Salami

Oct 12, 2012
Nice drives and this would be a good deal if you knew the drives were lightly used.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
So what am I missing about these drives? Used, they're twice the price of a new consumer drive. The specs are only on-par with modern high-end SSDs. Assuming that they last twice as long as a modern consumer drive, I still wouldn't consider them to be a remotely good purchase - It doesn't matter to me if a drive lasts 20 years instead of 10, because it will be replaced in 5 anyway.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I haven't had the pleasure for playing with any SAS SSDs yet. I know that BlueFox on H has a few in his systems. Might want to shoot him a PM.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
So what am I missing about these drives? Used, they're twice the price of a new consumer drive. The specs are only on-par with modern high-end SSDs. Assuming that they last twice as long as a modern consumer drive, I still wouldn't consider them to be a remotely good purchase - It doesn't matter to me if a drive lasts 20 years instead of 10, because it will be replaced in 5 anyway.

Ya running yer databases on vertex 2's huh ;)

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Ya running yer databases on vertex 2's huh ;)
840 Pro, actually. Granted, I may not have the massive writes/day of some place like [H], but I still fully expect the SSD to last me 10 years+. Given that modern MLC SSDs can write 6+PB (XtremeSystems test), I can't really see the advantage to paying twice as much for less capacity, less speed (even if it is a minor drop in IOPS), and, from their web site, less resiliency (1.1PB). Plus, it's used, even at that price!

Last edited:

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I have been watching/ toying with the idea of getting a STEC Zeus drive like this 50GB MACH8 IOPS model: STEC MACH8IOPS SSD 50GB M8ISB2 50UC 3PAR MACH8 Iops Enterprise Solid State Drive | eBay

or a 200GB Zeus IOPS like this: STEC Z16IZF2D 200UCT Zeusiops SLC 2 5" SAS 600 Solid State Drive | eBay

Just wondering if anyone has tried and if so any thoughts. I know these are more the types of drives found in higher-end NAS/ SAN systems. Any major gotchas with self-building using these?
I was looking at one of the 50GB drives as pdneiman on EBay (buying a C6100 Infiniband mez card and C6100 from him) has a few. Hi IPOS but very slow.

The Zeus looks a lot more interesting at SLC for approx US$500 (OBO) but I guess it depends on how much someone wants a used SCL drive. The 840 Samsung 500GBs are selling for US$300 new at the moment which is hard to beat. Format to 300GB and it give 200GB spare unprovisioned space for almost half the price. Would be interesting to see which one performs better and lasts longer.

RB

b0bb

Oct 30, 2012
I have a couple of the 100G MACH16 IOPS

SATA2/3Mbps and not all that fast (Sequential read is 124MBps, write is 166 MBps), reliability and power protection is what I got them for, use them as ZILs and cache drives on Solaris 11.

Is there a way to upload jpgs to add to the post? I have AS-SSD benchmark captures.

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
B0bb,

I think you will have to use something like photobucket or host the image yourself as I don't think this site allows any attachments.

I have also been looking at these STEC drives, SLC based versions. I can get them reasonably cheap from a supplier, ~100gb capacities and either 2.5" or mPCIe format, I want a pair or 4 for an ESXi datastore, it's either that or Samsung 830 or 840pro.

I already use ATP eUSB (Sit on motherboard headers)SLC SSD's for the ESXi installation, I highly rate these and will put a post up soon.