Anyone see a pattern emerging?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I think the real question is what usage they will be used for? Not sure I would recommend EVGA power supplies especially after their issues with hold-up time (titanium series seems to be okay) on the G2 and likely the G3 series.
Please elaborate.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Did you read the last post by the OP @Nanotech ??

"Yeah, it's not actually a big deal. As I've said, I went a little overboard at first. According to the Intel ATX spec, the 12V has a tolerance of as low as 10.8V when the PSU encounters a peak load situation, for a duration of 10ms. So, it's not like some time below 11.4V is going to necessarily kill hardware. Except if a PS isn't under full load, it'll take a longer time to go from normal voltage all the way down to 10.8V or whatever the trigger is, which could mean something like 100ms of being under 11.4V."

As someone who's literally yanked the plug on my EVGA G2 PSUS (various) at-least 3 dozen times on one test system, and 2 dozen+ on another home AIO I've seen 0 negative affects with my SuperMicro and Intel motherboards I've used them with. I probably won't yank the power if I don't HAVE TO now to be extra safe... but I have no concern with any G2 or G3 I have in use, or plan to put in use.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I did. There's more to this when you look at who the OEM is versus a more reputable one such as Flextronics or Delta or Seasonic, and CWT.
Sorry, unclear what you're getting at with this?
If there's additional information needed then please share.

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
IMO hold-up time is a non-issue. Anyone with a Pc worth a damn should be able to afford a $50 UPS that will save the crappiest of psus from brownouts.

Feb 8, 2016
IMO hold-up time is a non-issue. Anyone with a Pc worth a damn should be able to afford a $50 UPS that will save the crappiest of psus from brownouts.
If the UPS switches within the 16ms (mentioned above), then your statement is true.

UPS MFGs don't seem to bother with publishing their switching times nowadays, but some have (20+ms) switch times (sorry, cannot find an example of a UPS taking 20+ms at the moment).

Have a G2 55ow, and haven't caused a problem by pulling the plug on the supporting cyberpower UPS.

Thanks for pointing out their are potential problems with some power supplies and some UPS cut-over times (own a G2, got it at a good price, and the lazy electronics probably influenced the attractive promotional price).

Last edited:
Reactions: dms

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Most modern UPS's will happily switch between 5-10ms, the better ones being at the low end of that range. Modern power supplies won't be troubled by that, if they are sized correctly for the application. I highly doubt that any modern mainboard with fast switching regulation onboard will be troubled by it either. In saying that, if you go yanking out the power while under heavy load on an older supply, you're asking for trouble anyway and deserve what you get no matter who manufactures your supply :)

vrod

Jan 18, 2015
I don't know if I would trust a 50$ UPS with a 3k$ PC. The UPS could probably also create not so funny scenarios. :)

@Patrick - sorry I must have missed it but what are you planning to use these cards for?

Why don't you try something like this?

IMG_0738.JPG
Insane monero miner and at the same time you could invite friends by for LAN. :D I'm currently planning to do this and put it into a 4U case.

I guess I am going to use the RX 470's but you could perhaps get 6 more 1080 ti's or bump the game up to Titan Xp!

Reactions: William

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@vrod some perspective: the guys building big GPU clusters are not doing that. It is more of a gamer "hey look how cool this is" solution.

This is what I was building yesterday. The top GTX 1080 Ti was there just to see if the power cables would fit.

Ended up actually pulling the CPU fan shroud just after this. An autonomous driving company with their servers was telling me they use neither shroud and it had ~1C difference.

Note: I looked at 3x GPU compute clusters yesterday while doing this. Many aisles of 40-44U worth of GPU compute servers (one was doing 110x Titan X Pascal GPUs/ rack in their cluster.) Everyone is using 1-2 FDR of faster IB or Omni-Path.

But the goal of this is to get 2x nodes full of Founders Edition 1080 Ti's. Ran out of time before heading to Computex.

In the event you were wondering, this is only pulling 1293W with all four PSUs hooked up for redundancy and the GPUs at 102% power profile.

vrod

Jan 18, 2015
Nice! Did you see the "7 gamers 1 pc" video from LTS? I am looking to build that myself. If you are in on watercooling the beasts, you would probably be able to stuff a card in for every pcie slot you have. Could be really beneficial. I'm looking at a X99-WS myself as it has 7 slots. I saw a RX 470 for 190€ new yesterday but was an idiot not to buy it... now the offer is gone. :(

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Nice! Did you see the "7 gamers 1 pc" video from LTS? I am looking to build that myself. If you are in on watercooling the beasts, you would probably be able to stuff a card in for every pcie slot you have. Could be really beneficial. I'm looking at a X99-WS myself as it has 7 slots. I saw a RX 470 for 190€ new yesterday but was an idiot not to buy it... now the offer is gone. :(
Is that the one they did with the machine after we reviewed it? Supermicro 4028GR-TR 4U 8-Way GPU SuperServer Review I know our test sample went to them after @William was done.

The common config in these machines is 8x GPUs, newer models have 10 with a single root.

It seems strange that I just racked a system similar to the one we reviewed 19 months ago. This one does not have 10GbE onboard but only can afford so much.

William

May 7, 2015
Yup, that was the machine I had here. That machine was a beast.
The level of noise was very high tho.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yup, that was the machine I had here. That machine was a beast.
The level of noise was very high tho.
I do not even hear this one under full load. That may be because it is miles away :)

William

May 7, 2015
HAHAHA I know :)
Mine was on the table behind me in my old lab :)
Its hard to say which machine I have had was the loudest, the Quad CPU SM system was pretty loud also but the GPU rig like that one pulled the most power, had to move to STH DC to run it under full load.

vrod

Jan 18, 2015
Is that the one they did with the machine after we reviewed it? Supermicro 4028GR-TR 4U 8-Way GPU SuperServer Review I know our test sample went to them after @William was done.

The common config in these machines is 8x GPUs, newer models have 10 with a single root.

It seems strange that I just racked a system similar to the one we reviewed 19 months ago. This one does not have 10GbE onboard but only can afford so much.
Yeah I do believe they tossed in a lot of Titan's in that box... but the 7 gamer one was with a xeon ITX board in a more compact system. :) i can imagine it was loud but does it beat a pizza server?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yeah I do believe they tossed in a lot of Titan's in that box... but the 7 gamer one was with a xeon ITX board in a more compact system. :) i can imagine it was loud but does it beat a pizza server?
Not even close, these boxes would be very loud. That rack plus the ones to the left / right are all pulling 4kW+ at any given time and I can always hear that box, even with ear protection.