Anyone running E5-46XX in a dual board?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Krobar

Aug 25, 2012
Hi All,

I'm trying to use dual E5-4617 in a Supermicro motherboard and suffering from poor CPU performance in Windows (Linux is fine). Is there anyone else using this configuration? Is Windows performance OK?

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Try flipping the NUMA BIOS setting. I've seen that cause a big difference in dual and quad systems Linux to Windows

Krobar

Aug 25, 2012
Are these ES chips?
They are ES but are C1 stepping so should be productionish. I've narrowed down the issue to Sandra, Intel Linpack is now showing 272Gflops under Windows, Aida is showing good results too but Sandra is still poor for Arithmetic FPU and Multimedia results. I think Sandra might be using too smaller datasets as the CPUs don't seem to reach peak in Linpack until they hit 20Gb-25GB data sets. Sandra RAM and Cache benchamrks look great but Multicore efficiency looks flat although that may be because hyperthreading is not possible with the 4617s.

I have also disabled QPI ISOC setting as according to the Intel datasheet 46XX series CPUs do not support it (Much like the HCC Ivybridge-EP CPUs).

Last edited:

Krobar

Aug 25, 2012
Try flipping the NUMA BIOS setting. I've seen that cause a big difference in dual and quad systems Linux to Windows
Makes no difference for these particular benchmarks. The difference is detected by Coreinfo (1 Node for all cores with Numa disabled) but it seems these benchmarks are unaffected; I have heard that folding is helped by disabling NUMA but the folding bench I did returned good results with NUMA enabled anyway.

Do others here get good results with the latest version of Sandra? I'm beginning to think the problem is in fact Sandra.