Anyone noticing way more intrusive ads on other sites?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just went to five content sites and they had full screen ads that you had to either wait 10-15s to skip or figure out where the close button was. Very annoying.

Reminds me a bit of 2001 when ad revenue fell like 90%+ in two months and everyone started doing pop-ups just to survive.

I do not mind banner ads frankly (as I get that model pretty well) but the full screen ones are really annoying.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I find them annoying, and hate that too. I haven't noticed it though on the sites I visit.

I have noticed people are placing ads WAY too close to the buttons again like back when google came down hard ~04 on that and required everyone to space things, and not "Trick" people... now the download sites have been tricking people for years ago, ads are mm from buttons, and apparently it's OK now.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Can be really said the same for STH imho. with the ADs embedded in words at postbit.
I agree to a point. The ads/inks IMHO are fine, but they should be underlined dashed or a different color so we can "tell" they're ads, and not a link someone put in their thread/post. This is what's common on other forums, and then of course a $20/year or $x/year membership makes them go away, etc... lot of options :)

Just my 02.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
the adds should not be click and go away. we are there for the content. I not mind the billboard adds... but the ones that put you through a click tollbooth need to go. it has made going to several websites almost unbearable...

Chris

Mike Bailey

Sep 24, 2015
New York
Full screen ads are one thing. Those I can just click to exit fairly quickly. What I find rather infuriating is that on some mobile sites, they have ads that slide in once you hit certain parts of the page. The only way to dismiss them is to continue swiping until it goes off screen, with no way of clicking an "x" to dismiss it.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
As soon as a site hits me with an ad that auto plays with audio I'm almost guaranteed to be gone from it. I feel like slide through ads got invented and then hit everywhere super quickly.

I try to be as light as possible with privacy badger, because I get the model used, but if the ads become too intrusive I will stop visiting a site. I could rattle off a list of tech sites that became too much for me, though they're not as bad (nor is my list as long) as some of the mainstream news sites.

Reactions: CreoleLakerFan