anyone knows DL180 G6 backplane power pin out?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jtaj

Jul 13, 2021
not sure if this goes under guide or under diy builds, mod please move thread to the right section if needed.

I have an old DL180 G6 server thats broken into parts and sold, but I still have the chassis, cage and backplane left, mobo/PSU are long gone and I wanted to make use whats left. After searching online a bit came across this DL180 G6 12 bay backplane connections

backplane picture with power connector here, https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71Olk75Vv1L._AC_SL1296_.jpg

I never really paid any attention to this server before but now I find few things interesting and have questions on how to turn the backplane/cage into jbod.

1. does anyone know the Power connector pinout for it's LFF backplanes? there are 2x 8 Pins connector on the backplane.
2. compare to my gen9 servers, this backplane only has 1x SFF 8087 port with embedded sas expander. would all 12 drives show up if I connect it to a HBA card?
3. would the gen9 raid card such as p440ar recognize the drives?
4. if above does work, is it right to assume all 12 drives will share the same bandwidth from a single 8087 cable?
5. lastly, if anyone had this server in the past, are these SAS1 or SAS2 (Sata II at least?)

thanks for the help.

warlord1312

Sep 17, 2015
For questions 2-4 it's a yes. For question 5, SAS2 is the answer but only SATA II as well and not SATA III.

Just out of curiosity what are you planning to do regarding cooling as that is not a particularly quiet model.

Reactions: jtaj

jtaj

Jul 13, 2021
For questions 2-4 it's a yes. For question 5, SAS2 is the answer but only SATA II as well and not SATA III.

Just out of curiosity what are you planning to do regarding cooling as that is not a particularly quiet model.
its only passive cooling because most hard drive will be on idle anyway and not accessed much, the original fans were already sold along with other stuff. I am using regular ATX psu also have other 12v rail sata connector I can use for additional fan if needed. but I can't seem to find the pin out for the 2x 8 PINs for the backplane. basically if someone still has the server or psu maybe if they dont mind help test the pin out voltage, would really appreciate it.

Voodoo_now

Jan 23, 2023
In case anyone else finds this:

They should be 2x 10 pin SGPIO connectors for the 12x LFF backplane. (storageworks p4500 g2 / dl180 g6)

pinout:

backplane-hp12x35-proliant-dl180-g6-490375-001.jpg

IMG_20230212_215957.jpg

jtaj

Jul 13, 2021
In case anyone else finds this:

They should be 2x 10 pin SGPIO connectors for the 12x LFF backplane. (storageworks p4500 g2 / dl180 g6)

pinout:

View attachment 27142

View attachment 27143
hey, thanks for sharing this. do you know if the backplane only requires a single power connector like in your 2nd screenshot?

given that each connector has 4x 12v, I'd like to assume it is enough to power 12 hard drives + backplane. in your case, does it work fine without the 2nd power connector plugged in?

Voodoo_now

Jan 23, 2023
hey, thanks for sharing this. do you know if the backplane only requires a single power connector like in your 2nd screenshot?

given that each connector has 4x 12v, I'd like to assume it is enough to power 12 hard drives + backplane. in your case, does it work fine without the 2nd power connector plugged in?
I'm in the process of finding this out, just waiting for the other end of the cables to arrive so I can actually connect it to my psu, I forgot to check before dismantling the server.

I'm also assuming only one connector should work, since there is no need to have 8 12v lines going to 12 hdd's...
However, I have also learned never to underestimate these companies' tendency to randomly overengineer things, so we'll see.
In any case I should have an answer in a few days.

jtaj

Jul 13, 2021
I'm in the process of finding this out, just waiting for the other end of the cables to arrive so I can actually connect it to my psu, I forgot to check before dismantling the server.

I'm also assuming only one connector should work, since there is no need to have 8 12v lines going to 12 hdd's...
However, I have also learned never to underestimate these companies' tendency to randomly overengineer things, so we'll see.
In any case I should have an answer in a few days.
over engineer is always true since its enterprise gear.

question, how do you know the pin out with certainty without the other end of the cable? wouldnt you risk burning up the backplane or even the hard drive?

Voodoo_now

Jan 23, 2023
over engineer is always true since its enterprise gear.

question, how do you know the pin out with certainty without the other end of the cable? wouldnt you risk burning up the backplane or even the hard drive?
yeah thankfully, this part I did check before I took it apart, I just measured each one with a multimeter. Since the wire color coding also matches, I'm quite confident I got it right. (red=5v, yellow=12v, black=gnd)

Voodoo_now

Jan 23, 2023
Ok well the answer seems to be...extremely overengineered lol

apparently you need more power than 3080ti to power 12 hdd's (and all 16awg wire of course)

With the bottom plug attached drives 3,6,9,10,11,12 work.
With only the top plug connected, none of them work.
only with both connectors plugged in do all 12 bays function

jtaj

Jul 13, 2021
Ok well the answer seems to be...extremely overengineered lol

apparently you need more power than 3080ti to power 12 hdd's (and all 16awg wire of course)

With the bottom plug attached drives 3,6,9,10,11,12 work.
With only the top plug connected, none of them work.
only with both connectors plugged in do all 12 bays function
oh bummer lol. do you mind measuring how much power draw for the entire backplane + 12 HDDs? just to make sure its not drawing too much power for no reason.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
maybe the second is a thru connector to supply next unit ?
BTW: one cable is Yellow/White = +12VStandby ???

Voodoo_now

Jan 23, 2023
BTW: one cable is Yellow/White = +12VStandby ???
That's just the photo, they are all yellow/white

do you mind measuring how much power draw for the entire backplane + 12 HDDs? just to make sure its not drawing too much power for no reason.
Dont have a separate reading on the backplane, but power draw seems fine.
I went from 4x external usb + 8x sata on a sata expansion card to this 12disk bay on a HBA card and my total system power draw is actually 5-10W lower than before.

I now have a mini Jbod. I basically cut off the back half of the chassis, replaced the 60mm fans with 80mm ones and made a power adapter so that I can power it with a 8-pin CPU cable.

IMG_20230215_215449.jpg
IMG_20230215_191612.jpg

kapone

May 23, 2015
The G6 power supplies are actually easy to hack and they already come with the two 10-pin connectors wired for the backplane.

The HP G6 power boards have 2 small connectors with a bunch of wires going out to a proprietary connector that HP uses. Look at this pic of mine:

The middle powerboard with the two small ivory colored connectors at the bottom right edge of the board.

Snip off every single wire except the two that you see in my pic, and short them together. The HP power supply now becomes a standard ATX power supply. :) and can be used with any motherboard/enclosure, not just HP.

I'm using these to power my Chenbro enclosures.