Anyone know of a wifi smart plug with default on after outage?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Anyone know of a wifi smart plug that can return to power on state after an outage without being manually reset? I'd like to start metering some machines individually and this is the one thing stopping me right now. All of the products I've read reviews for on Amazon need manual intervention after a power event.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
not sure where you are but the AVM Fritz line can do that afaik but you'll need a FritzBox as management station. It actually communicates via dect but is controllable via app/web interface

Kybber

May 27, 2016
If you are willing to flash custom firmware, then many wifi plugs, at least those based on ESP8266 chips, can do what you request. E.g. Tasmota, ESPEasy, ESPHome, ESPurna. This does require a USB-Serial programmer chip (USD 5 or so) and perhaps a bit of soldering to attach serial pins to the device, not to mention a bit of time to familiarize yourself with the process and select which firmware you prefer. But if you are somewhat interested in home automation, then this is the way to go.

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
I have very good experience with Sonoff. I think that even with default firmware they can be told to return to previous state.

I use them with Tasmota custom firmware, which can be set to whatever option you want - always on after outage, last state, always off after outage...

Jiri

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Thanks everyone, I stuck a couple of Sonoff plugs in my Amazon cart for next month when I've got some time.

Reactions: maze