Anyone know of a PoE hub (4 port+) that itself is powered by uplink PoE link?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Basically I want to send one LAN cable from an inhouse PoE hub out into the wilderness, the target being a small switch/hub that then allows me to connect a few PoE devices, obviously the hub itself is powered by the incoming PoE uplink.

Every hub/switch I can see is powered via its own 12v power adapter etc... I want one that takes the power from the uplink....

am I asking for too much?

turgin

May 16, 2016
How much power are you planning to draw on the downstream ports? Do you need 1g or is 10/100 sufficient?

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
How much power are you planning to draw on the downstream ports? Do you need 1g or is 10/100 sufficient?
A Grandstream GDS3710

A super-eye auto-tracking/panning/zooming thingy camera (like in the movies)

Another all weather camera, haven't decided on this one yet so it will be attached later, but probably just a stationary camera.

I'm thinking of getting two smaller PoE powered poe switches, both fed by the big poe switch in-house, so kind of like covering different areas of the land around the house.

I haven't looked at the wattage requirements, guess I overlooked that one, I'll have a butchers and see what they total, I doubt I'd be exceeding 20 odd watts in total though (totally a guess, I will RTFMs at once).

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
The NanoSwitch looks nice, but only supports passive 24V. If your devices fit that, you're good to go. You also need a power injector that's compatible, which is not included. Your existing switch probably won't work, as it likely wants to see 802.3 af/at.

Personally, I would pass just because even Ubiquiti is moving away from passive POE. Their newer APs and such won't work with it anymore.

POE is one of those things where "Standards are great, there are so many to chose from!".. :)

Reactions: Dreece

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
So that's what they mean by 'passive', just a random injection of power using one of those splitter like things...

So 802.3 af/at is 'active'?

Do you have any recommendations for a 802.3 af/at PoE powered switch? (3 ports out is good enough)

The one you recommended initially that apparently does support the standard, so that should be good to go? as long as my power requirements are within what it can handle of course.

Last edited:

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Yes, that's why I knew about it, I thought I might need something like it. The power requirements and that one at least is 100Mbps, but even 3 cameras should be ok if you are using H264. I think there are gigabit versions around, but I haven't looked for them yet.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019

Siman

May 31, 2017
I found the cheapest way around all of this is to use my LB4M and run it through a POE injector for my cams and my AP points. I grabbed one of these used on ebay. But with what your doing you could use something like this with a ummanaged cheap switch.