Anyone have experience with the Habey EMC-600S case?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Joe Momma

Jul 5, 2015
Build’s Name: Openstack compute node
Operating System/ Storage Platform: Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel® Atom™ Processor C2758
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-A1SRi-2758F-O
Chassis: Habey EMC-600S
Drives: 1x Sandisk SDCZ43-032G-G46
RAM: 4x KVR16LSE11/8KF (32GB total)
Add-in Cards:
Power Supply: 60 Watt pico PSU
Other Bits:

Usage Profile: I'd like to build a couple of openstack compute nodes using the Habey EMC-600S case. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it? Reviews seem solid; but there isn't a ton of feedback.

Other information… I have to keep my nodes super small in order to fit on the shelf of an entertainment center. I live in a small condo and don't have a lot of options to store this stuff.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The Habey 600 series cases support slim-miniITX. Your motherboard is too tall to fit.

If all you are looking for is a basic small miniITX chassis why not look at the Mini-Box M350. It's not built to be pretty but it will meet your needs. Mini-Box is the company that makes the PicoPSU..

Reactions: Indrek and T_Minus

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
The Habey 600 series cases support slim-miniITX. Your motherboard is too tall to fit.

If all you are looking for is a basic small miniITX chassis why not look at the Mini-Box M350. It's not built to be pretty but it will meet your needs. Mini-Box is the company that makes the PicoPSU..
I don't want to second guess too much, but "slim mini itx" is not thin mini itx, and the pictures suggest that it might fit, so are you sure about this?

I could not find any information about the height of the heatsink on that motherboard, so it is quite possible that it will not fit, according to newegg the max height is 1.25" with heatsink etc.

Indrek

May 19, 2015
Estonia
I could not find any information about the height of the heatsink on that motherboard, so it is quite possible that it will not fit, according to newegg the max height is 1.25" with heatsink etc.
The heatsink itself might fit, but note that the board uses SO-DIMMs in vertical orientation. Since a standard SO-DIMM module is 1.25" wide, it would suggest that the board will not fit in that case. If it used regular DIMMs, then it might work if low-profile modules were used, but I'm not aware of low-profile SO-DIMMs.

Joe Momma

Jul 5, 2015
Yeah, I was a bit concerned about the max height of the motherboard with the Habey case. I figured it would fit since the heatsink appeared to be lower than the quad NICs ports on the motherboard. However, it looks like the Mini-Box M350 will fit my needs. I can spare the extra inch or so in vertical height, it is more well ventilated and looks a little less sketchy than the Habey.

Thanks for the feedback!

Indrek

May 19, 2015
Estonia
Yeah, I was a bit concerned about the max height of the motherboard with the Habey case. I figured it would fit since the heatsink appeared to be lower than the quad NICs ports on the motherboard. However, it looks like the Mini-Box M350 will fit my needs. I can spare the extra inch or so in vertical height, it is more well ventilated and looks a little less sketchy than the Habey.
The M350 is a great case, my current home server/NAS is housed in one. If you need any measurements before ordering it, to double-check, I'd be happy to help.

Joe Momma

Jul 5, 2015
Indrek, do you have any of the 40mm fans they hawk for use with the M350? I will probably need one blowing across the heatsink. I imagine they aren't silent being so small; but I'd like to know if they sound like a jet engine or not.

Indrek

May 19, 2015
Estonia
Indrek, do you have any of the 40mm fans they hawk for use with the M350? I will probably need one blowing across the heatsink. I imagine they aren't silent being so small; but I'd like to know if they sound like a jet engine or not.
Sorry, no. I got two Fractal Design Silent Series 40 mm fans for mine, and those are pretty quiet, given the size.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I have both Habey EMC 4 x 800S , 2 x 600S and M350 case.

BTW,
M350 case spec ( The M350 is Industry's smallest universal case (192 x 210 x 62mm ))
Habey EMC-600S from Newegg spec 9.0" x 8.0" x 2.25"
62mm is equal to 2.44 inches from Google calculator , therefore M350 have the same height as EMC 600S

EMC-800S is 3" height.

I won't put a $330 system board in the Habey case , may be a $50-$100 motherboard.

Pro:
Cheap , I got the EMC 800S during last year Back-Friday sale , around $35 each shipped.
Later I brought the 600S case for around $50 each shipped
Solid metal case , really heavy and the manufacture did not cheap out on metal.

Con:
Big con, top cover has no vent hole . You'll need to find a way to install a small fan.
or stand the case on its side with vent hole on top to allow natural air convection.

Power board is capable to handle more than 60W, but the AC power adapter is only 60W.
You'll have to spend money on a 120W AC power adapter.

Reactions: T_Minus