Anyone have a spare key I can borrow or buy for Dell 2420 rack?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I just picked up a Dell 2420 24U rack, but one of the side panels is locked. I don't really need a key long term, (but I'll just buy it if its cheap enough) as I just need to get it unlocked and leave it unlocked. I can get a key on ebay for $20, but wondering if someone here has a spare they don't need I can get shipped to southern CA for less. If you have one that you need, but don't mind lending out, I can pay for 1st class postage from and back to you.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Is it possible to reach the locks from the inside? They are usually just held in with a nut or a clip.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
And this is why I learned how to pick a lock. And have a cheap pick set.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Is it possible to reach the locks from the inside? They are usually just held in with a nut or a clip.
yes, i have no problems removing the panel altogether. what i want is to leave the panel on in unlocked position so I can remove it as-needed.

And this is why I learned how to pick a lock. And have a cheap pick set.
i'm embarrassed to say this,... i have such a kit, and use to be pretty good with it when i was a teenager. i found the kit and tried to pick the locks, but failed miserably. i don't think it's that the lock is that good (they can't be), but i've lost my touch messing with lock picking i think. I can feel 4 (maybe 5) tumblers, but can't get them right. :-(

Rain

May 13, 2013
Based on some pictures (of 2410 racks & keys, but I doubt much has changed), I'd bet they are just wafer locks.

Does your pick set have any rakes? Light tension & some raking should get you in, I bet. If you don't have any rakes, any pick should do the trick. Keep light tension on the core and jiggle the pick around randomly and move it in and out.