Anyone got a 4k transcoding, FreeNAS machine? (ITX, IPMI, ECC)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Have you considered just getting an Nvidia Shield? (It runs Plex Server and supports hardware transcoding).

NashBrydges

Apr 30, 2015
I have Plex running as a VM on Ubuntu on a server with dual E5-2650v1 CPUs. The VM is assigned 4 vCPUs and 8GB RAM and runs on SSDs. I have family members connecting remotely up to 3 at a time and transcoding various 1080P and 4K content simultaneously. It's never skipped a beat. No GPU, all CPU based transcoding.

a5ian300zx

Aug 26, 2012
I just have my Plex and Emby servers running on my Qnap (i7 / 16Gb Ram). My friends and family can also transcode in HD outside the house (only have 20 meg upload) around 3 I have seen transcoding in HD.

4K will transcode with both Plex and Emby but cannot do HDR tone mapping so will look washed out.

SwanRonson

Sep 27, 2018
Does such a processor and board even exist?

I can't find a single, consistent benchmark / review from any nerds who've built a FreeNAS machine.
The plex fans and staff keep referring to 'passmark scores' which feels entirely unscientific to me.

I would love one of those SuperMicro Xeon D, or Denverton boards, but neither processor supports the Intel QuickSync or whatever it is for video acceleration (there's now a job logged for FreeNAS to add jail and VM passthrough of Quicksync for Plex transcoding.

As much as I'd LOVE to give AMD some money, this bug concerns me.
196683 – Random Soft Lockup on new Ryzen build
Plus there's a thread on the FreeNAS forums about Ryzen instability. This is on the 2xxx series as well.
Furthermore, Ryzen, ITX, IPMI, ECC and 6+ SATA? Yeah that (to my knowledge) doesn't exist.

Do I really need to buy a 16 core Denverton, 8 core Xeon D? What's the solution here? Am I asking too much?

just FYI the teething issues with Ryzen and Linux you are reading about have not been an issue since Linux Kernel 4.15