Anyone get ravaged by the BTC fork?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Today was a big day so I'd like to hear if anyone got hit by BTC forking?

I was OK but I had a coworker that couldn't withdrawal from coinbase he said.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Nope, did not affect me at all. I do not have any Bitcoins.

Everyone was warned to take their Bitcoins out of exchanges days ago.

Just waiting to see what happens.

If Bitcoin Cash difficulty drops enough I might fire up my KNC Jupiter and mine then just for the heck of it.

Reactions: cactus

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
BTC is stable and BCH is up to 3rd in market cap. It will be an interesting few days.

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
If you hold your own coins, that is, if you are the only one in control of your private keys (local Bitcoin node/client), then nothing has happened: you're on both chains. And as long as you don't perform any transactions, that remains the case.

The moment you spend an output, that output (along with possible change that you get back), gets pegged to one of the chains forever.

I'd say: wait for it to stabilize, then choose what client to use from then on.

Last edited:

spfoo

May 23, 2017
Nope, did not affect me at all. I do not have any Bitcoins.

Everyone was warned to take their Bitcoins out of exchanges days ago.
It's not enough to warn about a thing that for an average person seems completely illogical. It's like telling people: "Due to a technical issue you should empty all your bank accounts and bring all your money to your home - but only for a day. Banks may or may not accept your money afterwards.". This whole show was a sad time for crypto currency. It's already hard to get the public to accept it but these kind of events where the whole "organization" behind Bitcoin seems clueless of what to do next will not help painting a better image of it. Then the BCC disarray with exchanges adopting/not adopting/"we haven't decided yet". Looks really like a million chicken (read: idiots) running the show and deciding things....