Anyone done a Brocade 6610 fan mod?

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
I did consider the 7250, but the price of around $300 (compared to about $150 for 6610) was main reason. When buying used equipment for 24/7 home use, I usually purchase another similar or same model for a spare. I couldn't justify twice the cost for two 7250's.

I agree that modifying power supplies isn't a good idea, and the 40G ports didn't make any difference to me, but the extra 8x 10G breakout links and price were deciding factors for this purchase.

I guess I can attempt the fan mod without opening the PSU(s) and see how temps run.
In terms of cost I would also consider the price of electricity as the 6610 uses about 50w+ or so than the 7250. 50w*24*31/1000*.17 (average CA electricity cost) and you're looking at about $76 more in energy cost for the 6610 per year. Not to mention cost of removing that heat if necessary (ac).

However, it sounds like the 6610 is totally reasonable if you're using the 40GBe links to breakout to 10GBe. Sounds like you've got a lot of 10GBe gear.

ClintE

Feb 22, 2019
In terms of cost I would also consider the price of electricity as the 6610 uses about 50w+ or so than the 7250. 50w*24*31/1000*.17 (average CA electricity cost) and you're looking at about $76 more in energy cost for the 6610 per year. Not to mention cost of removing that heat if necessary (ac).

However, it sounds like the 6610 is totally reasonable if you're using the 40GBe links to breakout to 10GBe. Sounds like you've got a lot of 10GBe gear.
Yep figured it would be over $50, didn't realize it would be that much. Part of the hobby I guess.

Acquired the 10G over time, then pulled fiber through the house and set quiet switches at the endpoints. Really like the 6610 capabilities, but it's rather noisy... Seemed to quiet it down somewhat putting the second PSU and fan back into the 48P. Might pull the 24F off the shelf and install two of them in that one to see what it sounds like up there.

Serhan

Sep 22, 2017
Yep figured it would be over $50, didn't realize it would be that much. Part of the hobby I guess.

Acquired the 10G over time, then pulled fiber through the house and set quiet switches at the endpoints. Really like the 6610 capabilities, but it's rather noisy... Seemed to quiet it down somewhat putting the second PSU and fan back into the 48P. Might pull the 24F off the shelf and install two of them in that one to see what it sounds like up there.
I have a similar setup with 6610, but having a tough time finding cheap and quiet sfp+ switches for the endpoints. What did you end up using for those?

ClintE

Feb 22, 2019
I have a similar setup with 6610, but having a tough time finding cheap and quiet sfp+ switches for the endpoints. What did you end up using for those?
If you're not against used, Dell Powerconnect 55xx's, inexpensive, 2x SFP+ slots, separate stacking ports, 24 or 48 ethernet (POE available), decent L2 and light L3, low noise fans that can be replaced with even quieter ones.

Reactions: Jiaxinxi and Serhan

bkvamme

Sep 23, 2018
Thanks very much for the guide, helped me get started. Just finished the modifications myself.

Extremely quiet, and excellent cooling performance.

I experienced a rapid failure of the pulse generator (3hrs into my test). The chip was running extremely hot, so I had even mounted a alu-heat sink on it.

Ended up using an old Arduino Uno I had lying around to make my own pulse generator. Here is the code for that:

Code:
int f=650; // Enter desired frequency in Hertz
float d=f*0.000001;

// PWM fan control https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/MyName1sSimon/control-pwm-fans-with-an-arduino-7bef86
// Read fan RPM https://makezine.com/2010/07/29/reading-a-pc-fan-speed-with-arduino/
void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
  pinMode(9,OUTPUT);
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.print("Frequency:");
  Serial.print(f);
  Serial.println(" Hz");
}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
  while(1)
  {
    digitalWrite(9,0);
    delayMicroseconds(d);
    digitalWrite(9,1);
  }
}
Plan is to expand the code to also read the actual Noctua fan RPM, and stop the pulse generator to trigger warnings on the switch if one or both fans fail. I recon 1 fan will be sufficient for cooling given the cooling performance I am seeing now, but will test this prior to implementation.

PWM fan control can also be added quite easily, but I don't see the need for that given the current noise level of the fans...

Results:
Code:
ICX6610-48P Router>show chassis
The stack unit 1 chassis info:

Power supply 1 (AC - PoE) present, status ok
        Model Number:   23-0000142-02
        Serial Number:  Y45
        Firmware Ver:    A
Power supply 1 Fan Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back
Power supply 2 not present

Fan 1 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2
Fan 2 not present

Fan controlled temperature: 37.5 deg-C

Fan speed switching temperature thresholds:
                Speed 1: NM<----->84       deg-C
                Speed 2:       79<-----> 87 deg-C (shutdown)

Fan 1 Air Flow Direction:  Front to Back
MAC 1 Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 30.5 deg-C
MAC 2 Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 37.5 deg-C
CPU Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 36.0 deg-C
sensor A Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 33.0 deg-C
sensor B Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 29.0 deg-C
sensor C Temperature Readings: